300 tdi timing belt kit..

CURLY

gonna do the timing belt over the weekend, but didn't know which one I should buy??

are dayco a good make of belts?

found a few on flea-bay, (see flea-bay numbers)

i need idler pulleys and tensioners etc, just wanted to make sure they were all in the kit.

dont suppose anyone has a list of the different parts i need do they? i'll do the oil seals while its all off too..

its for a 1995 300tdi edc with egr if it makes any difference..

Ta!

CURLY

The kit comes complete with stud, nut, hex bolt, gasket, sticky gasket, idler, tensioner, sprocket, and belt. The seals are a seperate item, but only a couple of quid for the crank front and timing cover seals.

Les.

hi les,

where is the best place to buy a bearmach kit?

• 2 weeks later...

right, i boutht the modified kit off ebay and it arrived this morning. Les, you said 'The crank sprocket doesn't appear to have a welded-on washer' is that a good thing or a bad thing because i think this one that came today has..

there seems to be a lip spot welded onto either side of it.

CURLY

Mmmm - bad thing - the 'lips' can come off and rattle around for around the 0.0078 seconds it takes to wreck the belt!

I say 'can' as they can, but I could only get one of that type when I last did mine (in a hurry as it had snapped and I needed the truck the next day), but its been on for over a year now with no problems. I have a cast one from Bearmach (indestructible!) that will be going in there when the next change is due. You could be unlucky and it will go within hours, or it could last forever. Tough call - depends on how fast you need to do the belt, if it can wait, I'd hold out for another, cast, pulley..................

just called the guy i bought it from and he assured me that these are the ones he has been fitting in his garage for 10 years, and he has never had one go wrong yet.

what should i do?

Mmmm - bad thing - the 'lips' can come off and rattle around for around the 0.0078 seconds it takes to wreck the belt!

I say 'can' as they can, but I could only get one of that type when I last did mine (in a hurry as it had snapped and I needed the truck the next day), but its been on for over a year now with no problems. I have a cast one from Bearmach (indestructible!) that will be going in there when the next change is due. You could be unlucky and it will go within hours, or it could last forever. Tough call - depends on how fast you need to do the belt, if it can wait, I'd hold out for another, cast, pulley..................

any chance you could email put up a picture of the bearmach one? bacause i think i'm going to buy one of those to be on the safe side..

cheers,

Sam

here you go Les,

post-14021-1239116276_thumb.jpg

post-14021-1239116287_thumb.jpg

post-14021-1239116297_thumb.jpg

pictures of my crank pulley.

i have just ordered a bearmach one from the very helpful blokes at Gigglepin.

thanks for your help by the way, much appreciated!

CURLY

Here we are:

On closer inspection its not a one peice cast but I cant see for the life of me how it gets put together - the central bit with the teeth seems to be sat in the middle of the pulley 'halves' or something but there's no joint line inside the thing to to sure, wierd. Still, I've used enough of them at work to know they are more or less indestructable and dare I say it - 'Squaddie-proof'.......

post-2722-1239117352_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1239117365_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1239117378_thumb.jpg