200tdi In S3 Grinding

djbrookes

Hi,

I have a 200tdi and R380 in my Series 3 Landy. I have a problem...Whenever I am going at high speed (over 50mph) the car goes fine when I have the accelerator down. The problem is that when I let of the accelerator to slow I get a VERY loud churning, clunking, grinding noise from the front of the car. I think it is coming from the front axle (assuming the diff).

Please could somebody give any advice?

P.S: I still have the original set of Free Wheeling hubs on the front axle mainly due to the fact I havent got round to replacing them with drive members. The car does not move if I dont have the Free Wheeling hubs in the 'locked' position. I am puzzled with this because I am sure that all Disco 1 transmissions are permenant 4wd aren't they? So sure the rear wheels should drive also?

Please help......

THANK YOU LADS :-)

The noise up front could be generated by a failing propshaft UJ or associated diff/transferbox bearings.

As for the lack of drive when the front hubs are disengaged, if you have a Discovery transferbox (LT230) then you will not get drive when the front hubs are disengaged. The LT230 incorporates its own differential. This means all the power goes to the location of least resistance, in this case it is the front diff when the hubs are disengaged. If you engaged differential lock on the transferbox, you will find it will drive with the front hubs disengaged.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have noticed that the steering does knock when going round corners but I assumed that it was the steering box but maybe this is related? I recently changed the tyres to smaller ones and it seems to be knocking alot less now...I am confused! lol

Any help would be great once again...Thanks :-)

are you running a standard series front axle in permanent 4x4? that could have caused a lot of wear on the half shaft joints, inside the axle. They were never intended to run under a load all the time.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have noticed that the steering does knock when going round corners but I assumed that it was the steering box but maybe this is related? I recently changed the tyres to smaller ones and it seems to be knocking alot less now...I am confused! lol

Any help would be great once again...Thanks :-)

you've made a grave error, the series front axle was never meant to be driven on hard tarmac. hence why a series is PART TIME 4wd. Wehn you lock the diff to make the vehicle move you are causing wear to the front axle and the steering knocking is not the steering box it is the UJs kicking inside the axle as they transfer the drive.

A coiler is FULLTIME 4wd and will have both axles powered when on tarmac, central diff unlocked.

If I were you, i'd be looking at rebuilding the front axle and converting the LT230 to PART TIME 4wd. i'd also give myself a slap round the head! :ph34r:

Although having never tried this myself I have heard a few stories of people running series front axles in permanent 4WD without heartache. I would guess this depends on the condition of the axle to start with.