LPG in V8i

Mikado

I have just bought a V8i running on LPG, and so I'm keeping a careful watch on fuel costs.

At present, driving mailny on country A and B roads I seem to be getting about 170 miles per fill, which converts to 13.3 miles per gal using the excellent calculator at http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/ccfuel.htm

That works out at 20 p per mile.

Franky I'm not impressed, as I was hoping for better. Or am I just a naive newby who didn't do their sums before they bought?

Can anyone esle share some LPG consumption data with me? And some economy tips?

By the way, this is a very impressive and informative forum.

Vroom Vroom,

to be honest it all depens on wether you have a closed loop lpg kit or an open loop kit or wether you have a full blown multipoint injection system

my guess on those figures would sugest you have a closed loop lpg kit which is about right to be honest

i am getting the same as yourself , but only pay 49p per litre so its slightly better . i think 18.8 pence per mile which is about what i get is pretty good considering . i also have a 3.9 v8 lpg. My 1l hijet is running at 16p per mile on petrol , so there you go you are doing well on lpg

On average you get 2 or 3 mpg less on LPG than on petrol so I would expect you should be getting more unless you are having fun with the loud peddle or spend all your time driving around town.

I use to get about 16mpg from my range rover classic with a single point system

On a long motorway trip my V8i on LPG works out about the same as my 300tdi, around 28 - 30ish mpg but on short trips it's more like 20 - 22mpg. So I try to use the motorway if at all possible :rolleyes:

Ive just bought a non LPG V8i 3.9, and I got 270 miles from a tank just around town - which I'm extremely happy with :D was expecting alot worse from reading other peoples stories.

I was considering an LPG conversation but not sure now.

I use a 3.9 auto to pull a horse trailer every week end it has a OMVL Dream xx1 sequential system (bit of a waste as the V8 fires in banks) but still works well with no power loss that you notice and i get 12-15 mpg which is all but the same if on petrol but at half the price of if you like 24-30 mpg if comparing on to the other. We no trailer i get 21-25 mpg which at half price i am very happy with.