Heatshield question.

discodave

Hello everyone. The large exhaust heatshield above the centre box, part number NTC7196, is missing on my V8 disco. Am I overheating my transfer box oil or something like that and would it be wise to replace it? If so has anyone made their own? Does anyone know roughly the dimensions? I think it'll be over 50 quid to buy a new one and I'd rather not pay that unless I have to as I've got some ali sheet I think would do. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers. Dave.

Hi discodave, I replaced my original cat back system last year and the centre box didn't have a heatshield attached although there is one shown in my parts catalogue. What i did find was a stiff fibre shield attached to to the underside of the floor above the centre box but it was much smaller than the centre box, there's a biggish gap between the top of the box and the fibre shield so I did't have any concerns over heat. I can get underneath tomorrow and take a pic.

Thinking about it I don't think the centre box is near the transfer box. :huh:

Hi discodave, I replaced my original cat back system last year and the centre box didn't have a heatshield attached although there is one shown in my parts catalogue. What i did find was a stiff fibre shield attached to to the underside of the floor above the centre box but it was much smaller than the centre box, there's a biggish gap between the top of the box and the fibre shield so I did't have any concerns over heat. I can get underneath tomorrow and take a pic.

Thinking about it I don't think the centre box is near the transfer box. :huh:

Thanks teabag, I wasnt sure of the position of the shield other than looking on microcat which doesnt really help much. When my mate changed the transfer box all that was left was a bit of bracket but I cant remember where it was attached and he removed it when he was doing the box. A picture would be great. :)

The shield is there to prevent radiated heat from coming through the floor pan (only noticeable if you're stationary for a long time and your feet are above it). They usually come loose and make an annoying rattling noise or fall off on their own. If you want one there, then thin sheet alloy of tin with an air gap between each side of it will do the same job.

Les.

The shield is there to prevent radiated heat from coming through the floor pan (only noticeable if you're stationary for a long time and your feet are above it). They usually come loose and make an annoying rattling noise or fall off on their own. If you want one there, then thin sheet alloy of tin with an air gap between each side of it will do the same job.

Les.

Come on... feet on the floor pan above the exhaust center box. :rolleyes:

On my 97 disco a heatshield was never mounted on the exhaust and the same with any fixings.

As a heatshield is shown in the book, some models must have it, but, as you say could come loose and fall off.

Perhaps thats why LR fitted the heat resisting fibre mat to the underside as fitted to my disco.

Even if discodave got his gigsaw out and cut a heatshield how is it fitted, there no slots or screw holes on the exhaust centre box.

Heat may not come through the floor where you can put your feet, but that's what it's designed for. I've never seen a heat shield on a centre silencer either. A lot of other makes of car have extensive heat shields - sometimes almost the entire length of the floor pan. If you can't attach it to the silencer itself, then the floor would be an alternative.

Les.

Heat may not come through the floor where you can put your feet, but that's what it's designed for. I've never seen a heat shield on a centre silencer either. A lot of other makes of car have extensive heat shields - sometimes almost the entire length of the floor pan. If you can't attach it to the silencer itself, then the floor would be an alternative.

Les.

Morning all, when I said the heatshield was above the centre box I was only going by the picture in Microcat which doesnt really help, and the recollection that my leftover bracket was in that general area, and my memory aint what it used to be, but, IIRC the bracket was attached by one of the bolts on the bottom of the transfer box, as it was when my mate took off the cover to have a look inside that it was removed. That's why I thought it may have been there to protect the transfer box from extra heat buildup. Maybe if Teabag can get a photo of his that would shed some light on the subject and jog my memory more, but if it's only there to stop heat going up through the floor then I'll not bother replacing it. Aircon takes care of heat buildup inside the cab. B)

For discodave photos of the heat shield. You will see brackets on top of box (pic 1&4) they are not part of the existing shield I put bolts in to protect the holes...the 4 brackets are for an extra shield if required thanks to Janspeed.

and for Les about a third of the center box is underneath the centre of the rear footwell B) but mine is about 5 inches from the floor.

post-5809-1238325776_thumb.jpg

post-5809-1238325793_thumb.jpg

post-5809-1238325814_thumb.jpg

post-5809-1238325831_thumb.jpg

post-5809-1238325849_thumb.jpg

For discodave photos of the heat shield. You will see brackets on top of box (pic 1&4) they are not part of the existing shield I put bolts in to protect the holes...the 4 brackets are for an extra shield if required thanks to Janspeed.

and for Les about a third of the center box is underneath the centre of the rear footwell B) but mine is about 5 inches from the floor.

Thanks Teabag. Nice looking exhaust you've got there. Okay, I've had you on a bit of a wild goose chase I'm afraid. :blush: Sorry. Seeing your pics made me think that that's not where my stray bracket was, so I've been for a closer look and I do have that big heatshield and it is attached to the the exhaust, only mine is tin and more concealed by the centre box, see picture. I've also taken pics of the stud on the transfer box where the bracket was and also a bit of fibre stuff that I imagine is all that's left of the other end of another shield that isnt in Microcat. Looks like it would have been protecting the tranny box from the pipe that enters the centre box but the truth is I've no idea. Can anyone else shed some light on it?

post-1905-1238343171_thumb.jpg

post-1905-1238346227_thumb.jpg

post-1905-1238346254_thumb.jpg

Thanks Teabag. Nice looking exhaust you've got there. Okay, I've had you on a bit of a wild goose chase I'm afraid. :blush: Sorry. Seeing your pics made me think that that's not where my stray bracket was, so I've been for a closer look and I do have that big heatshield and it is attached to the the exhaust, only mine is tin and more concealed by the centre box, see picture. I've also taken pics of the stud on the transfer box where the bracket was and also a bit of fibre stuff that I imagine is all that's left of the other end of another shield that isnt in Microcat. Looks like it would have been protecting the tranny box from the pipe that enters the centre box but the truth is I've no idea. Can anyone else shed some light on it?

Don't know whether this will help or not but my 300tdi has a metal heat shield above the silencer mid box.

It's about 450x200mm and is fitted to the underside of the car on brackets so that it is approx 25mm below the floor.It is made from sheet steel about 1.2mm thick. The location is exactly above the silencer and is below the flat area of floor pan where rear seat passengers put their feet. No where near the transfer box or any other bits for that matter. As Les Henson indicated it is to stop radiated heat from the box heating the floor pan where feet rest.

Whilst i appreciate this applies to a 300tdi , if I 'm not mistaken the mid box on a V8 is in the same position.

Unless you are desperate to spend £50 on the part I wouldn't bother with it, not worth the cost or the bother fitting it.

Hope this is of some use.