Discovery 300TDi Electrical Problems

Disco 1966

I have a late 300TDi [1998 XS].

Two weeks ago it failed to start and was recovered to my local garage. I was informed that it was the pump solenoid and has now been bypassed in some way. Since it's return It has a host of 'electrical problems’:

Interior lights will not self extinguish with the doors closed

Rear wiper now not working

Alarm ‘chirps’ when it is locked up & the indicators flash.

Air-con compressor will not start when turned on.

It starts and runs without any problem now, although the battery has run flat a couple of times. The battery is new having been replaced around 6 weeks ago and I'm not seeing any evidence of the alternator causing problems.

It doesn't have the 'spider' arrangement I'm told & I'm having the ECU checked as it is suggested that this is the cause.

All fuses have checked out OK & as far as I can tell the relays are as well.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks in anticipation........

It actually sounds like one electrical problem causing several of the issues - something thinks there is a door open

This means:

- Lights won't go out - because there is a "door open"

- Alarm won't arm (the chirp is a mislock warning - doors or bonnet open)

- Battery will probably go flat because "something" is still on

Not sure about the a/c maybe it deactivates that with a door open too but I'm not sure about that one.

Interior lights will not self extinguish with the doors closed

Rear wiper now not working

These two things mean that the vehicle 'thinks' the boot door is open (the rear wiper stops when the boot door opens).

Probably the boot door switch is knackered or its wire is short circuited to ground.

Air-con compressor will not start when turned on.

If the front 2 electric fans start spinning when you switch on the A/C but the compressor doesn't work (look at the electromagnetic clutch in front of the compressor, where the pulley is, if it engages and turns) then there is a loss of refrigerant (when refrigerant pressure goes down there's a pressure switch that interrupts the A/C compressor electrical circuit to protect it from self damaging).

I had the same problem the week I bought my Disco (which is the same year and spec as yours). My problem happened after letting a main stealer try to programme my car to accept a second remote. I ended up with constant chirping and no wipers etc. The car obviously thought a door was open.

After much arguing with the bloke I got him to accept responsibility, put it on testbook and fiddle about with it. On returning the car to me he said he had accidentally put it into some kind of "transport" mode while programming it for the remote. What he meant by that I don't know, but after he had it on testbook for 20 minutes the problem was sorted and hasn't arisen since.

Can't help with the battery bit though.

• 1 month later...
It actually sounds like one electrical problem causing several of the issues - something thinks there is a door open

This means:

- Lights won't go out - because there is a "door open"

- Alarm won't arm (the chirp is a mislock warning - doors or bonnet open)

- Battery will probably go flat because "something" is still on

Not sure about the a/c maybe it deactivates that with a door open too but I'm not sure about that one.

Many thanks for your guidance. Sorted the Air Con [knackered on/off switch] and have replaced all the door and bonnet switches. Still chirping and flashing and rear wiper not working! I will remove the door panel this weekend to check the wiring at that end and have downloaded a wiring diagram, so should be able to trace the cabling now.

Should I have the controller reset again?

Regards and thanks - Steve

I'd check the wiring back to the ECU and see if it is getting an earth from the switches when doors are closed. If everything seems to be OK you might need to reset the controller with a hammer and fit a new one :)

The interior light door switches are wired back to the multi-function unit, this part of the MFU may have a problem and believes that a door is open, hence the interior light staying on, the alarm chirping and the wiper not working.

Have you removed the vehicles battery and so powered down the systems?