Gearbox oil change

kevinr

Maybe a strange question, but here goes.

I'm trying to do an oil change on the main gearbox today, basically, I have noisy gearchanges now, 1st and 2nd can be a little problematic to get into..even 3rd has started. I do have plans to check/overhaul/replace the clucth master and slave cylinders as it's a problem since the clutch was changed, however, start with the 'easy' stuff first, and to be honest, at 130k mils, it could probably do with it.

My question is, what way does the drain plug unscrew? it may be an odd question, but it is stuck in that hole damn tight and I don't want to brute force it the wrong way, and car manufacturers have a habit of throwing in a reverse thread nut/bolt from time to time.

Ta

Kev

Maybe a strange question, but here goes.

I'm trying to do an oil change on the main gearbox today, basically, I have noisy gearchanges now, 1st and 2nd can be a little problematic to get into..even 3rd has started. I do have plans to check/overhaul/replace the clucth master and slave cylinders as it's a problem since the clutch was changed, however, start with the 'easy' stuff first, and to be honest, at 130k mils, it could probably do with it.

My question is, what way does the drain plug unscrew? it may be an odd question, but it is stuck in that hole damn tight and I don't want to brute force it the wrong way, and car manufacturers have a habit of throwing in a reverse thread nut/bolt from time to time.

Ta

Kev

The drain plug is definitely a right hand thread. I undid mine yesterday and used a 32mm ring spanner. It was tight but was easily moved with a couple of light hammer taps on the end of the spanner. You will note when removing it that the oil sprays out very quickly so use a large pan oil collector. Be careful not to damage the magnet on the plug. I shattered mine when I accidently dropped the plug while cleaning it.

Best of luck

Ta

Kev

Even Land Rover do not use LH threads unless there is a good reason, like the viscous fan and fan belt tensioner on the Tdi. Both of these HAVE to be left hand threads.

thanks guys, will get it sorted. Had to put the job on hold today as I was a ittle short of oil, but I also managed to pick up some NGK sparks and Bosch HT leads while I was there, so it'll all get done tomorrow.

While I'm at it, I have a brand new coil laying about, a bluetronic12v coil, the only marking is a rubber stamped 'xic 8048 0907' on the bottom, it's blue and yellow banded and has 'commercial ignition' on it....is it a good replacement for the bosch ne I have in? if not, It'll be an ebay seller :)

Mine was a sod to try to get out . I was convinced it was going to sheer off .In the end I went for a short drive to heat the whole thing up a bit and the plug came out quite easily.

Jules

thanks guys, will be getting that done today.

Ches - thanks for the tip :), I already know about that one, I think I read about it here, would be a royal pain in the arse to drain it all and find I can't remove the filler plug :)

All done, and what a pig of a job!! after finally wrestling the drain plug out, draining it all and giving the whole thing a clean, I put the new oil in....despite being a large car, I still needed and armthe size of a small child to reach around everythig to squeeze the bottle.

I know have another problem. partly my fault for not reading the bottles correctly, mostly Motor factors fault for not giving me the right product.

Of the 3 bottles I got, only 2 were dex II the other was Dex III, the 2 dex II went into the gearbox, and it was topped with Dex III (around 700ml worth) I noticed this error after I had done the job.

Is this going to be a big issue needing me to drain it all out again, or will it be fine? what's the difference between the 2?