new clutch....still squeels

petrolhead63

the TD5 was bought over a year ago. At that time it had a slight squeel on the clutch when it was cold just as the clutch starts to bight. Also when it warmed right up the clutch started to get a bit stiffer and make a creak as the pedal is depressed. This got worse until 12000 miles later the clutch when warm was horrible and a smooth take off was getting hard.

So, not skimping we have just fitted a new flywheel, cluth plate, cover and bearing plus spigot bearing.

The clutch is loads better, it is lighter, smoother and feels right BUT guess what...squeel when it is cold just taking up drive.

Has anyone else replaced all clutch components and still got this issue?

If it's a Valeo clutch, I've heard of this issue but not on LR's. If the noise/vibration is only when the clutch and engine are cold then give it some time and the problem should go away.

It will help if you can record the noise and post it on here.

Hi, My Td5 Defender has a little squeal from the clutch when first setting off from cold, always goes away after the first 2 or 3 operations of the pedal.

It's done this ever since I first got it 4 years ago and has never got any worse, I used to get concerned that somthing is about to let go but now I just ignore it.

Hi, My Td5 Defender has a little squeal from the clutch when first setting off from cold, always goes away after the first 2 or 3 operations of the pedal.

It's done this ever since I first got it 4 years ago and has never got any worse, I used to get concerned that somthing is about to let go but now I just ignore it.

Hi, yes I used to ignore it with the old clutch but having spent a lot of cash and time replacing the whole lot due to other issues I am concerned a new one makes the noise.

I fitted Land rover fly wheel which is Valeo I think anyway?

Britpart Clutch pattern clutch.

We also did the spiggot bearing.

Today it made the noise for 6 or 7 miles on and off before stopping once warmed right up.

Today it made the noise for 6 or 7 miles on and off before stopping once warmed right up

Ahh, sounds a bit more serious then, I must admit I'd find that a lot harder to ignore.

When you say "on and off" do you mean it does it when you're operating the pedal - ie starting and stopping, or during driving without touching the pedal?

Ahh, sounds a bit more serious then, I must admit I'd find that a lot harder to ignore.

When you say "on and off" do you mean it does it when you're operating the pedal - ie starting and stopping, or during driving without touching the pedal?

you need to press the clutch, it can sometimes squeel whilst pressed down but more normally as you let the clutch up and it starts to bite. It never squeels without operatiing the clutch. It sounds just like a knackered release bearing under load but its new!

Ah, the noise is something different from what I though from your first description then.

Does it squeek when the engine is stopped?

no noise with engine off, its definitely like a bearing squeel only with engine running. The other noise (in addition to this one!) on the old clutch did do it turned off.....pedal/clutch creaked and juddered down or back up! Was I think the pressure plate. The old pressure plate was very grooved on the "fingers" which was odd because the release bearing did not seem badly worn.