300tdi clutch problems.

daveyboy300tdi

Ive got a few problems with the clutch on my disco and wonder if anybody can shed any light on the matter.

I fitted a valeo heavy duty clutch last weekend, with new clutch fork and release bearing. Went on a play day without a hitch right until the end where I lost the pedal. Couldn't get any gears, I drove it home without a clutch pedal... it was mostly motorways so coped ok. Clutch pedal was perfect, no play.

The slave cylinder had the slightest of weeps when I did the the clutch and I mean the slightest.

Today I've changed the master and then the slave after no difference, it was one from a defender apart from the little round (diaphram?) thats bolted to the bracket with slave, I don't know what this is called :( . This was missing from the donar so I used the one that was on my disco.

I bled the system and got a good pedal and thought all was ok. I left it for a couple of hours doing other maintenance :lol: and lost the pedal. I thought it must be air in the system. So I slackened the bleed nipple and let gravity bleed it for half an hour or so, as was recommended by a friend. Which after locking off and much pedal pumping has left a usable clutch pedal, but... it's still not right. There's about an inch of play before I get a pedal.

I've drove it for about 10 miles and the inch seemed to be getting more like an inch and half. Im gonna leave it and inspect in the morning.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Air in the system? I have also noticed a slight 'judder' after changing both cylinders today that wasn't there before I changed them.

Ive got a few problems with the clutch on my disco and wonder if anybody can shed any light on the matter.

I fitted a valeo heavy duty clutch last weekend, with new clutch fork and release bearing. Went on a play day without a hitch right until the end where I lost the pedal. Couldn't get any gears, I drove it home without a clutch pedal... it was mostly motorways so coped ok. Clutch pedal was perfect, no play.

The slave cylinder had the slightest of weeps when I did the the clutch and I mean the slightest.

Today I've changed the master and then the slave after no difference, it was one from a defender apart from the little round (diaphram?) thats bolted to the bracket with slave, I don't know what this is called :( . This was missing from the donar so I used the one that was on my disco.

I bled the system and got a good pedal and thought all was ok. I left it for a couple of hours doing other maintenance :lol: and lost the pedal. I thought it must be air in the system. So I slackened the bleed nipple and let gravity bleed it for half an hour or so, as was recommended by a friend. Which after locking off and much pedal pumping has left a usable clutch pedal, but... it's still not right. There's about an inch of play before I get a pedal.

I've drove it for about 10 miles and the inch seemed to be getting more like an inch and half. Im gonna leave it and inspect in the morning.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Air in the system? I have also noticed a slight 'judder' after changing both cylinders today that wasn't there before I changed them.

have you checked the rubber piping get someone to pump the clutch while you check the rubber piping make sure it aint swelling under pressure when you got back from playing had you lost all your fluid failing that the pushrod hasnt come off the fork that little clip isnt brilliant,chris.

Rubber piping? Do you mean the loop that joins the master and slave? I've checked for leaks in the system everywhere no problems. The Header was still full of fluid when I lost the pedal whilst offroad. Inspected pushrod today, ok.

Cheers.

did the clutch take a hammering i know it sounds stupid but you could burn it out in a day if you changed everything then perhaps the next is the clutch ,did you get the horrible burning smell if i slip mine its a pain to get into gear for a while until it cools just a thought