Intermittent starting problem

barmy

All,

My problem is an intermittent one and therefore I need to isolate potential problems before I take it into Land Rover to be assessed.

I have an S reg 2.0L diesel Freelander which has been running well until recently. Occasionally (probably once a week now) when I turn the ignition key to bring up the lights - coil heating, SRS, etc, the lights do not come on. Sometimes if I twiddle the key they appear and recently some one suggested I push the car backwards a few feet and try again, this also works.

Also it does not matter whether the car has been running or not, the problem just happens, my worry is that the problem will get worse and also happen when I'm driving and therefore the car will stop.

Any suggesions on what I can test to isolate this problem would be appreciated but bear in mind that I'm not a mechanic so lay speak please,

Thanks

I would guess that it is either the contact block itself (so it needs to be replaced) or some further contacts, such as rotary contacts block, etc.

In some old cars, turning the steering wheel a few degrees may also help, did you try it?

However, you need to go to the service provider.

The good news is that there is no danger to stop during driving - after the ignition is on and engine starts, the contact goes back to a neutral position (at least from the engine point of view).

• 1 month later...
All,

My problem is an intermittent one and therefore I need to isolate potential problems before I take it into Land Rover to be assessed.

I have an S reg 2.0L diesel Freelander which has been running well until recently. Occasionally (probably once a week now) when I turn the ignition key to bring up the lights - coil heating, SRS, etc, the lights do not come on. Sometimes if I twiddle the key they appear and recently some one suggested I push the car backwards a few feet and try again, this also works.

Also it does not matter whether the car has been running or not, the problem just happens, my worry is that the problem will get worse and also happen when I'm driving and therefore the car will stop.

Any suggesions on what I can test to isolate this problem would be appreciated but bear in mind that I'm not a mechanic so lay speak please,

Thanks

hi i am ovidiu from romania

excuse my english !

i just had the same ,or something like that with my freelander, after i run in to some big holes in the road, and i hit them hard.road are in romania in some parts . i have the 1.8 k , sw,.and many times it did not shows all lights on board and car canot start. it hapend also during driving on road, city roads, that the engine stops and cut off all power. after many key turns, i was able to restart the car. for 3 weeks i live with this. i went to a mecanic and he said ,that if the engine stop during drive, is from the contact,. so i find out that, on my one, that the fuse box in the car had not been well put, it was moving up and down, just enough when i hit the holes , to pull a little the cabels from the contact, under the steering wheel,. soo i unpluged the contact C028-, spray some contact oil, tight the heads of end wire,and pluged back in . and no priblme since then. all the lights are ok, it does not make any problems when i turn the key.

i told you what hapend to me, and hope is so easy at you too. just a bad contact wire.

when you turn the key and shows nothing, or just very week some light, touch the wires belongs to the contact,underside of steering column, they are about 7 wires, female is brown , and you will see if the respond and shows all lights.

if you have the rave , look for in connector, and find C028 conector , there you have a picture with it.

hope it helps. by

excuse my english !

i just had the same ,or something like that with my freelander, after i run in to some big holes in the road, and i hit them hard.road are in romania in some parts . i have the 1.8 k , sw,.and many times it did not shows all lights on board and car canot start. it hapend also during driving on road, city roads, that the engine stops and cut off all power. after many key turns, i was able to restart the car. for 3 weeks i live with this. i went to a mecanic and he said ,that if the engine stop during drive, is from the contact,. so i find out that, on my one, that the fuse box in the car had not been well put, it was moving up and down, just enough when i hit the holes , to pull a little the cabels from the contact, under the steering wheel,. soo i unpluged the contact C028-, spray some contact oil, tight the heads of end wire,and pluged back in . and no priblme since then. all the lights are ok, it does not make any problems when i turn the key.

i told you what hapend to me, and hope is so easy at you too. just a bad contact wire.

when you turn the key and shows nothing, or just very week some light, touch the wires belongs to the contact,underside of steering column, they are about 7 wires, female is brown , and you will see if the respond and shows all lights.

if you have the rave , look for in connector, and find C028 conector , there you have a picture with it.

hope it helps. by

salut Ovidiu, bine ai venit pe forum... suntem doi acum :-)

si eu tot cu 1,8k ma "distrez"

viorel

salut Ovidiu, bine ai venit pe forum... suntem doi acum :-)

si eu tot cu 1,8k ma "distrez"

viorel

salut ! da ne adunam incet incet:)

eu sunt din oradea, tu? da stau si prin baia mare. eu mam distrat cu el de la inceput, cu pompa de apa dusa, si apoi garnitura faimosa de chiulasa. apoi problema cu contactu. amu astept sticla de la oglinda ca am busito.:) daca te intereseaza sau stii pe cineva, am filtru de aer k&n ,nou ,in cutie nefolosit.daca vrei manualul pt el, incearca pe http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php? ... &Itemid=29, si iti mai recomand un forum bun,http://forum.club4x4.ro/viewforum.php?f=21 , asta daca nu esti deja pe el. o zi buna se

excuse my english !

hope it helps. by

I thought your English was very good and I fully understood your explanation!! Well done

salut ! da ne adunam incet incet:)

eu sunt din oradea, tu? da stau si prin baia mare. eu mam distrat cu el de la inceput, cu pompa de apa dusa, si apoi garnitura faimosa de chiulasa. apoi problema cu contactu. amu astept sticla de la oglinda ca am busito.:) daca te intereseaza sau stii pe cineva, am filtru de aer k&n ,nou ,in cutie nefolosit.daca vrei manualul pt el, incearca pe http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php? ... &Itemid=29, si iti mai recomand un forum bun,http://forum.club4x4.ro/viewforum.php?f=21 , asta daca nu esti deja pe el. o zi buna se

eu sunt in bucuresti, deocamdata "doar" head gasket-ul... si eu imi iau piese de pe net, dar am facut greseala sa merg la Premium Auto si m-a costat vreo 2300 roni schimbatul filtrelor si uleiului... stai departe de ei... a propos de filtrul de aer, mi-am comandat unul de pe net si am ramas cu el pt ca era cu 5mm mai scurt decat cel original :-)

de curand am facut bucuresti-oradea-budapesta si retur fara probleme, asa ca sunt si parti bune la masinile astea

sa auzim de bine!

• 2 weeks later...
I thought your English was very good and I fully understood your explanation!! Well done

tnx !!!

i am glad to hear that. :)

hope will help others with same problems..

have a good day

eu sunt in bucuresti, deocamdata "doar" head gasket-ul... si eu imi iau piese de pe net, dar am facut greseala sa merg la Premium Auto si m-a costat vreo 2300 roni schimbatul filtrelor si uleiului... stai departe de ei... a propos de filtrul de aer, mi-am comandat unul de pe net si am ramas cu el pt ca era cu 5mm mai scurt decat cel original :-)

de curand am facut bucuresti-oradea-budapesta si retur fara probleme, asa ca sunt si parti bune la masinile astea

sa auzim de bine!

salut

scump domle,scump..:)) eu ca norocu am o cunostiinta care are service, si nu ma beleste ca si pe restu.nici la piese nu-si pune adaus, ca compar cu ce e pe la englezi.

sfatul meu ,de coleg, :), cand schimbi garnitura, schimba si pompa de apa, si sa verifi si termostatul.

acuma schimb si eu curele, si ceva rotita ce intinde ttransmisia...sa ti le verifi si pe alea sa nu fie coapte si crapate, ca apoi iti tre facut motoru de se duc alea.

inca nici nam verif filtru, ca am bagat masina la vanzare si am lasat filtru sigilat.

ulei am bagat liqui moll sau cum ii zice, asa mio rec pretenu cu service.

si eu fac oradea -baia mare, cam la saptamana, mai bag si oleaca off road da din ala mai soft :), si mie imi place masina.

incerc sa bag niste poze. sper sa si resusesc :)

o zi buna se!

post-14229-1243990519_thumb.jpg

post-14229-1243990546_thumb.jpg

post-14229-1243990593_thumb.jpg

post-14229-1243990618_thumb.jpg