Adjusting TD2.5 Injector Pump

I read in the tech archives that I can adjust my injetcion timing by clocking the injector pump. My TD2.5 blows tons of white smoke when the engine is cold, and it puffs white when I get on the throttle once warmed up. I think my timing is retarded. I loosened the pump and tried to turn it but it won't budge. How hard should I have to try to rotate it? I'm also unclear which way I'm supposed to rotate it to advance the timing. The tech archives give good instructions, however I want to be sure that I'm looking at the pump from the correct end before I try to rotate it to advance the timing.

I suppose that you loosened all the bolts? If I'm not wrong, there are three of them on the timing case as well as an extra bracket at the other end. For advance, you should turn it clockwise seen from rear of vehicle. I.e. against the rotation of the crank.

Ah, thanks. I missed the rear bracket. Now that I've had a chance to give it a proper adjustment, it would seem that it has already been advanced as far as it will go. I just replaced the timing belt as well. I suppose if my injector pump is already advanced to the limit and still wants to be advanced further it's trying to tell me that it's worn and I need a new one.

No, it's dead on, but you do raise an interesting point. I'm absolutely certain that the old belt was on correctly, and I'm just as certain that the belt I just installed is correct. What if I was to intentionally advance the injector pump 1 or 2 teeth and then re-adjust it starting from a much more retarded position? I think it could work, but I also think it would be simply covering for the symptoms of a pump that needs to be replaced. Maybe I'll try it just to be the lab rat and report back with results.

• 11 years later...

Upon reading this I wonder how it ended. White smoke is not probably a too advanced timing and not retarded. That the timing chain is new and correct and that the injector is as advanced as it could be. Turning it the other way closer to TDC would probably fix it.