Defender steering shaft bearings

Stripped down my steering shaft to replace the bearings, which were getting 'notchy'. I have managed to salvage the upper bearing but the lower bearing is shot. Part number is INA 22/36 2RS.

I have checked every bearing shop in the area, checked on-line and even contacted INA (Now owned by FAQ, I believe) without a response. Does anyone have an alternate part number that will fit, or will fit with minor modification?

As an aside, why does LR insist on using non-standard bearing sizes???

TIA,

Mark

LR don't list the upper & lower column bearings as seperate parts, only gives the complete column assembly in my 110 1987 on parts book.

I checked Microcat with the same result. I'm loath to buy a complete steering column for the sack of £10 worth of bearings. If I can't find an alternative, I'll look at machining out the column to 37mm and reducing the shaft size to 20mm. This would allow me to use a standard size bearing. I realise that I could probably buy a replacement complete assy from UK for reasonable money, but by the time I've paid shipping to Oman...... Besides, I feel I'm being conned every time LR pull this stunt. The bearing in the 300tdi pulley tensioner is another classic example - no lugs on the circlip to enable easy bearing replacement.

IIRC we have a thread in the tech archive about changing the tensioner bearings found it http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3904

don't take the column shaft down to far, wouldn't want it to snap on you.

My comments about the tensioner bearing were more by way of a rant against LR and what seems to be a deliberate policy of making us buy complete assys instead of making them repairable. But I suppose most manufacturers are guilty of that...

The shaft diameter where the bearing sits is 22mm. I would be reducing this to 20mm and there are a number of waisted areas on the lower end of the shaft that are thinner than this. Assuming that the reworked area is properly chamfered at the profile change, do you think that this would be cause for concern? I certainly do not want an unexpected shaft break!!

the thinner areas of the inner column could be part of the collapsible areas of the column, reworking the column to fit a slightly different bearing may be fine, but it's your call.

these guys may be able to help

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php

or

http://www.vxb.com/ballbearings.html?gclid...CFRISzAodbSNUhQ

shouldn't cost to much to have a bearing sent out by airmail