discovery back noise on drive

munchies

hi there this is my first post i hav just bought a td5 disco on a 2001 it is delovopling a whoooooo ing noise everytime i go round a right bend but its from the right hand side the noise but only on right bends fine on left bends any ideas could it b wheel bearing or anything to with the ace that ar fitted on them any ideas would b welcome pls

• 2 weeks later...

hi there just after any info i can get. i hav took my td5 to a 4x4 mechanic today and he could hear the drowning noise and he reckons its the diff but he said its worth waiting til it goes to b defently is the problem. wot ar my chances of going on a 1 hours and a half drive in it or is it not worth it. its still driving smooth just the drowning noise wen i go slower but it goes on motorway but dont want it to go bang or do any worse damage.is there any one anyway that does recondtioned diff i am rather nervous of buying one of ebay just incase am buying a new problem.pls any help would b great

Drowning noise is that like "aaaaaggh glug glug glug" :lol:

Seriously ...

I would say it is one of two things - either the diff pinion bearing or a wheel bearing. I wouldn't leave it till it goes bang as if it happens on a motorway you are likely to find yourself heading off it pretty quick and probably won't be popular with drivers behind you if they get a flying planetary gear or half a propshaft through their windscreen!

However if it only happens on a right hand bend then my money is on a wheel bearing, if you jack up the wheel and spin it / shake it you should feel a "grittiness" in the bearing if it is that.

Drowning noise is that like "aaaaaggh glug glug glug" :lol:

Seriously ...

I would say it is one of two things - either the diff pinion bearing or a wheel bearing. I wouldn't leave it till it goes bang as if it happens on a motorway you are likely to find yourself heading off it pretty quick and probably won't be popular with drivers behind you if they get a flying planetary gear or half a propshaft through their windscreen!

However if it only happens on a right hand bend then my money is on a wheel bearing, if you jack up the wheel and spin it / shake it you should feel a "grittiness" in the bearing if it is that.

my td5 does the same droning noise when turning right.but have now discovered you cant hear it outside the car.leading me to the steering column.

atb spudd

hi mate the mechanic has said to me it defo not the bearing it seems to b coming from the diff the droning noise <not the drowning noise ha ha>could diffs just go any time

It depends how bad it is really - if the pinion bearing is really bad then if you get under the car with the wheels chocked and handbrake off you should be able to feel some movement in the diff pinion if there is a problem, also try turning the shaft and see how much movement there is in the gears when rotating the shaft back and forth, there should be a small amount but not too much. If you get any up and down or side to side movement then you are doomed as that is slack in the bearings - the reason it whines is because the pinion then goes off line and the teeth don't mesh cleanly with the crownwheel which means it will wear like hell.

You could also drain the diff oil and see what it looks like, if it comes out metallic grey/silver then "Houston you have a problem" <_<

thanks for the replys lads. i am in 2 minds now its sound the same as spud has said u cant seem to hear it outside the car and the steering is feeling a bit different. but then bogmonster i think u ar right cos i hav already drain the diff to check it wasnt dry and if i remeber it did look grey wen it come out. i hav been spking to a friend who is a mechanic and he is saying to take it out if i want bring it to him and he will check the bearing and renew them if thats wot it is but how big a job am i lookin at or were could i get a recondtioned one if anyone does them thanks