Oil pump?

Hello all

With the aid of various members of the forum, and particularly Les Hensons detailed write up,

I have transplanted a 200tdi Disco engine into my "90". It starts first compression, doesn't

smoke, idles and revs smoothly, and pulls well. Great!

BUT when warmed up the oil light is on at tickover. I have changed the oil, filter and oil pressure

switch. I then found that the new oil (about 20miles old)seemed a bit thin and smelled of diesel.

So, today I replaced the lift pump (wet with fuel where the arm comes out) and changed the oil

again. 5 mile run to get it warmed up, and oil light full on at tickover which I had already

speeded up. After standing for an hour, on startup the oil light takes about 5 seconds to go out

unless the throttle is blipped.

What do you reckon? The engine sounds good, not at all rattlely. I have already read earlier

threads on "flickering oil lights" and camshaft bearings, but thought this was only an issue with

early engines. Could it be the oil pump? Please don't depress me too much more!

find out what the idle revs are, these engines should idle between 750 to 800 rpm with all the warining lights out. might just need the revs raising by readjusting the throtle cable's knrunled plastic nut at the injection pump.

if the idle revs are to low the pump isn't running fast enough to provide the flow & pressure, so the oil light will be on/flickering.

i would fit a proper pressure guage and see what pressure your actually getting at idle.

IIRC the minimum is 1.75 bar or 25psi, any less and theres something wrong with the engine.

Hello again, thanks for the input and sorry to be a nuisance!

I rigged up an oil pressure gauge as suggested (should have done it in the first place)

and got the following results:-

At tickover cold 20psi. Revving (not up to govener!) 34psi

Hot - thermostat open 6psi " " 31psi

Mr. Haynes suggests 25 - 55psi is permissable at normal running temp. and speeds.

How would you interpret these figures? I can't detect any bearing rumble or growl,

but am not familiar with these engines.

Any further comments welcomed!

that says to me the engines knackered :P

6psi at hot idle and a maximum of 35psi when revving it says to me that either the oil pump is knackered, or the bearings are all shot and the pump cant generate any pressure.

Personally i'd expect 25-30psi at hot idle from any engine, and most engines ive worked with can manage >5 bar (75psi) when revved and usually around 5 bar (75psi) when cold.

Judging by the pressures you get, I suspect it's the known issue with 200tdis - one of the camshaft bearing (usually the rear one) coming loose.

Took off the side plate, poked a thin piece of wire down the side of the cam journal, 3/4inch before

reaching bearing. Looks like you were right - wish you hadn't been though!

Interesting.

300Tdi's are notorious for wearing big ends badly here, anywhere between 150-300,000km they are down to the copper backing layer.

I'm dropping the sump and checking mine over the weekend, hot idle pressure has plummeted............