Oil leak at back of brake drum

kevinr

Hi,

I have an oil leak at the rear of the brake drum, now I'm aware that his is usually an indication of the rear output shaft oilseal going bye bye, however, the oil smells and looks like regular engine oil, and not the usual 'cat pee' smell of gear oil.

Before I go and buy all the parts to repair the output shaft, Is there anything else that could be leaking that would show up here? and would it be worth trying to repair it?

I thought I'd better as first, as it would be real annoying to replace the oilseal/bearing/drive flange and find that it never cured the problem.

Thanks

Kev

hmm..interesting! cause the sump does need a new seal.

I know when the clutch was replaced, I had the mechanic check the oilseal by the flywheel and that was in good order, the only other leak I could see was the sump, I take it this is an easy job to do, if so, then I will do that on the next oil change (I assume, drain oil, remove sump, clean with petrol then reattach using new gasket?? )

Alo, there is a recommended oil for V8, some kind of performance oil that I have seen mentioned in a couple of posts on the forums, but can I hell as like find them...could someone in the know drop a reply here please :)

The Rover V8 isn't really a performance motor that requires special oil, since it was designed 20 years ago. Semi synthetic oil is probably more than good enough for it. :huh:

Most LR dealers (in Australia anyway) use Castrol Magnatec. Not sure if this is available where you are.