Winch fix tips please?

HotRod

Probably my own fault for neglecting it, but came to use my front mounted winch yesterday and it was dead. I'll admit it hasn't been used since last year and the Landy has been sitting outside, so... I'd appreciate general advice on basics for troubleshooting the fault and keeping it running

Many thanks

what noise did the winch make if any?

any humming? or nothing?

are the solenoids stuck? or is the winch motor seized?

Not a sausage, no clicks or whirring. I doubt the motor is seized as it has been fine, but more likely water/dirt into the electrics? Not sure where to start....

What winch is it?

My superwinch ep9 seized up solid after i left it in the shed for about 12months

It was the brake that seized up, all i did was take the cover off and give it a good thrashing with a hammer and that freed it up

Simon,

On top of the motor there should be 3 big cables, black and two reds. One is the common and the other two are powered individually for in and out. Use a multi-meter and check that you get 12v across black and one red for either in or out on the remote.

If not take the lid off the winch and you will see the solenoids. You can power these individually with test wire and you should hear/see them click.

I assume that the free-spool works and it isn't (as suggested) just a stuck drum brake.

HTH