fuel filter housing - split .

dooroy

Yesterday the fuel filter housing in the wheel arch of my 2001 Td5 began spraying out diesel - I was travelling at the time and luckily a friend was travelling behind me and rang to say there was 'water' streaming from under the Disco .

When I stopped I was amazed at the amount of diesel being sprayed around .

This morning I rang the main dlr and was told the cost of a new housing was €340 (£305) . I was shocked to put it mildly - they generously said the new part would come with a new filter attached - I had changed the filter only last week + the intank pump .

Do these housings fail often ?

I know parts are expensive here but even the storeman felt it was crazy .

Ordered one tonight from Britcar(UK) for £82 + carr.

Do the pipes themselves need attention or are there likely trouble spots I should keep an eye on ?

I've not heard of one cracking - they are in a stupid position there though. Clean the pipe fittings with WD40 before and after they are disconnected. You have to push then on quite hard and there's a noticeable click when they are on far enough. Make sure the pipe connections go back on in the same place as they were on the old one (note the colours)

gallery_2_466_47410.jpg

gallery_2_466_12417.jpg

Les.

Likewise not heard of one going even here with rocks flying around on the roads - are you sure it was the housing and not a duff seal on the filter? seems odd that it has gone just after the filter was changed

Having examined it closely , but without taking off the wheel , I could see that the fuel was coming out well above the top of the filter .

I was also a bit puzzled as to why it should crack and on reading the replies of 3 experienced people like yourselves of not having come across this before it reinforced my doubts .So even though it was 1.30 a.m I decided to go out and check again - this time taking the wheel off. When I took the filter off I noticed that the outer seal seemed to stand too far above it's seating in the filter . Can you guess ???

When I checked the old filter I discovered the outer seal was missing !!! it had remained stuck to the housing - and I had wiped the sealing faces clean before fitting the new filter . The 2 seals seemed as one and had held for hundreds of miles .

I peeled them apart - refitted the filter and no more leak . :(

So a sincere thanks - especially since I got a reply from Britcar that they had sold the last of the housings at £82 and the new part no were about 3 times the price . :D

The last time this happened me was about 20 yrs ago when I fitted an oil filter and the old seal stayed in place - but on that occasion the problem showed up as soon as I started the engine .