Help sick discovery td5

swampduck

Hi can anyone help? I have a 2002 td5 disco, whilst driving home it lost all power and started to smoke. It starts up straight away from hot or cold and idles fine but when you try to rev it up it gets to 1200 rpm and starts to misfire and just makes a lot of grey smoke. I've checked the wiring loom to the injectors and ecu and found the usual oil ingress, I've cleaned the conectors with a toothbrush and brake cleaner but this made no difference at all, I have had the ecu scanned for codes but none stored, the wastegate is working as is the map sensor, airflow meter and fuel pump. I have now run out if ideas and would appreciate any help whatsoever. Cheers.

Have you changed the harness inside the rocker cover that feeds the injectors? If not you need to do this, just cleaning that one won't help. It's only about 40 quid or so and easy to change, clean the plug on the head and the red ECU plug again at the same time and clean both again in a couple of weeks as more oil will come out.

In tank fuel pump failure produces exactly these symptoms, if you have no luck wiht the injector loom then my money is definately on this.

The harness is cheaper though - but you're right the fuel pressure is the next thing to check if that doesn't work.

I had the exact symptoms from a failed pump on one i borrowed! Definatly recommend cleaning or better still, replacing the harness first because if it has the oil problem it needs doing regardless :)