fitting 34's on my rangerover

uksniper1

Hi,ive been pondering on fitting a set of 34/12.1x16 tyres onto me 1990 classic..it has a 2" spring lift,but i have 2 questions...firstly,,will a 12.01 tyre squeeze onto a discovery rim?i have 235/85 x16's on at moment..and second...is there any cutting of arches or similar to make them still articulate ok..?..thanks,,,wayne.

I have 35" on my disco, (similar to a rrc?). I have + 2" springs and cut arches and I have hammered 7 bales out of what is left and tey still rub!! I think at least a +3" lift and probably some trimming to be safe would be required. ALL MY OWN OPINION, wait for confirmation from a RRC owner.

As Tony has said ^^^^^

My RRC is fitted with 35" tyres but requires a 3" lift, chopped arches, not to mention castor correction arms, extended arches & roll bar removal.

I suggest you do a search on lifts within the Rang Rover thread.

HTH's

Mick.

Hi,thank you for the replies,looks a bit more trouble than i first thought... :( ..i may settle for either 265/75x16's(works out as a 31" i believe)..or maybe a 33" as ive heard theese need little modification?..cheers..wayne.

Hi,thank you for the replies,looks a bit more trouble than i first thought... :( ..i may settle for either 265/75x16's(works out as a 31" i believe)..or maybe a 33" as ive heard theese need little modification?..cheers..wayne.

I've got 235/85 Colway MTs on Disco steels and they measure 32". Surprisingly large. It's just a pity they aren't available any more :(

BTW 12" tyres on 7" rims is not really a good idea.

Ok thanks..i think ill go with the 265/75x16's..as they work out same size as a 31",,and are only a few mill smaller in height than my 235/85x16's,just a bit wider..not too wide hopefully that they hit anything.. :( ,,but i believe the 265 will not need any modifications at all,dunno if this is right..?....thanks again for all your help... ;)

Thanks for the help...chart helped loads...how far out of the arches do the 265's poke out brookers,as you say you got a arch extension?,,thank you very much for all your help guys...i just dont want to buy the wrong tyres and end up either chopping and spending even more,,or just end up re selling em..thanks again... ;)

I forgot to add i'm running 1" spacers to get the steering lock back! The arches are +50mm and the tyres sit about 10- 20mm within the arch. Can take a picture in daylight if it helps.

Brookers

Thanks for the help...chart helped loads...how far out of the arches do the 265's poke out brookers,as you say you got a arch extension?,,thank you very much for all your help guys...i just dont want to buy the wrong tyres and end up either chopping and spending even more,,or just end up re selling em..thanks again... ;)

Thanks for that mate.. ;) ..they look real good,how bad is the steering lock without the spacers?....thanks again... :)

Worse than a 110 on 285's! but you may be able to find rims with a better off set than I have to avoide using spacers.

You also think about what this will do to your gearing, going up to a 265/75 will raise the gearing 15.94% I'm running a 3.9 & Auto and I find that this has raised the gearing too much. In high range it wont change up in to 4th untill im traveling at an indicated 55mph and in low range 1st there is not enougth engine braking on decents. Previously I was running 245/75 16's (a 11.61% increase) and that was ok ish.

post-4857-1242476084_thumb.jpg

These were fitted without spacers and a 2" lift.

I'm now about to go up to 285/75 16, a 20.26% increase but i'm also fitting a set of 4.11 ring and pinoins that will drop the gearing back 13.65% resulting in the gearing only being raised 6.61% which should give me back a lot of the enging braking, and if Bish reads this I know I can use the footbrake!

Another option availble to you to correct the gearing in high range only would be to fit a defender transfer box with a lower high range. Going from a 1.22 to 1.41 will drop your gearing back 13.3% and get your gearing back to near standard (assuming your running 265's) in high range only.

HTH

Brookers

Wow theres a lot to consider...starting to think i might just put another set of 235/85x16's back on.. :D ,i honestly didnt think going up to 265's would change the set up of the car so much!...thank you very much for all your help mate,its very much appreciated... ;)

There are a lot of points to consider but don't let it put you off. TBH I think 235 is good size if you want more clerance under the axles but don't want to mess around with the body work too much. Gearing is still an issue with an auto but I don't know what box you have in your motor.

I know others are happy with 235's or 265's on autos with 1.2 Tboxes but for me I feel you loose a lot in control with the loss of engine braking but its what you do with the motor. I often have compleet novices driving my motor and candice braking is beyond their ability for many of them. Also do bear in mind that the 265's that i'm running are remolds and over size which dos'nt help the situation.

Brookers

enlighten me please Brookers, "candice braking"?

never herd of that one

Pumping the brake pedal to provide braking during a decent but avoiding locking the wheels. Same as you would do in a non ABS car during an emergancy stop to prevent skidding.

Brookers

Pumping the brake pedal to provide braking during a decent but avoiding locking the wheels. Same as you would do in a non ABS car during an emergancy stop to prevent skidding.

Brookers

its true, you do learn something every day!! cheers :rolleyes:

Thanks again for that mate,i also have a 3.9 auto in mine..and the 265's i was thinking of are new lions(simex copys) and work out to be around 31"'s,same height as i have on at moment, but a touch wider,and they would be going on disco alloys so no real offset,im still a little puzzled on why going wider in a tyre changes gearing,could you explain please mate,as this tyre choosing is still new to me..sorry to be any bother...thanks again..wayne.. ;)

Thanks again for that mate,i also have a 3.9 auto in mine..and the 265's i was thinking of are new lions(simex copys) and work out to be around 31"'s,same height as i have on at moment, but a touch wider,and they would be going on disco alloys so no real offset,im still a little puzzled on why going wider in a tyre changes gearing,could you explain please mate,as this tyre choosing is still new to me..sorry to be any bother...thanks again..wayne.. ;)

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Going wider does nothing to affect gearing, I was just giving you my abservations of the affects on gearing I have experienced with fitting 265's and this would be the same with 235'5.

265/75 16's raise your gearing 15.94%

235/85 16's raise your gearing 16.22%

So there is very little in it.

With the extra width on 265's it probably will reduce your steering lock. I certainly experienced it but it depends on wheel ofset or spacers.

HTH

Brookers

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Going wider does nothing to affect gearing, I was just giving you my abservations of the affects on gearing I have experienced with fitting 265's and this would be the same with 235'5.

265/75 16's raise your gearing 15.94%

235/85 16's raise your gearing 16.22%

So there is very little in it.

With the extra width on 265's it probably will reduce your steering lock. I certainly experienced it but it depends on wheel ofset or spacers.

HTH

Brookers

Ok,thanks very much,you have been a great help mate,i think i will try the 265's on and see how close they are to springs ,shocks,e.t.c,as im using normal disco wheels they could foul summat.Thanks again mate...wayne.