td5 tub on 300tdi!

Hi all me again!!!!

i have recently replace all the body work on my 1996 300tdi defender.

the rear tub was taken from a td5 model, so naturaly the filler neck does not line up

does any one have any ideas?? (apart from d44's £200 aero cap!!!)

cheers all

jack

I'd considered the opposite at one time (using a TD5 rear tank on a 300TDi and decided the easiest way was a flush fitting cap mounted on the side and then linked up to the original tube via a 45 degree bend. Might take some fab work on the tubing.

If you were feeling brave you could "unpick" the filler recess from the back of the TD5 tub, cut the appropriate hole at the front and retro-fit it.

You can forget linking to the tank from the rear filler, even if you managed to hook the pipes together it's be a real bitch to fill with all those opportunities for airlocks in the pipe.

For the neatest solution of all, why not just fit a TD5 90 rear tank anyway, that way you don't have to hack the bodywork or end up with unused filler recesses.

I have just faced the same problem, in the end I have decided to use an aero style filler and tubing from merlin motorsport and blank of the old filler, as it seamed easiest. Another option i considered was to change the outer wingskin for an earlier one. They pop up on ebay regularly for around £40.

jason

I have just faced the same problem, in the end I have decided to use an aero style filler and tubing from merlin motorsport and blank of the old filler, as it seamed easiest. Another option i considered was to change the outer wingskin for an earlier one. They pop up on ebay regularly for around £40.

jason

hi jason thank you for your adive, the only issue i have with skins is the spot welding side of things :( as i dont own a spot welder??

cheers dude

jack