Axle stuck whilst refitting leaf springs

Chrissyg

Hi all,

I've been taking off my leaf springs today just to give them a once over. Having done that, re fitting the right hand side leaves (to my 1982 series 3 swb) has left the axle around an inch further back than it rests on the passenger side, and wont move forwards at all. It is as if its caught or locked on something and wont move forwards to slot into the original position. It will move up and down but not left to right. I've tried turning the steering but otherwise i'm stumped! Please help guys!

Thanks in advance :)

Chrissy

Its definitely not catching on the mounting point of the leaf. Have double and triple checked that. :)

Not sure what/where the prop sliding joint is? Still quite new to all this.

Anyone had this trouble before? The axle isn't catching on anything, it just seems like an invisible wall is stopping it moving :(

The propshaft (from the gearbox to the axle, that drives the front wheels), has a sliding joint in it to allow for suspension travel. You may also find that the steering is stopping the axle from locating if it's all still connected. If it is, try turning the steering and see if the axle moves.

Les.

Unbolt the prop from the diff flange as the prop is probably at max extension as the spring will be under more extension having no shock absorber to limit its travel. Also slacken the N/S U bolts to allow the axle case to pivot on the spring peg on that side.