What am I missing?

Hi all,

Just fitted a 4.6 out of a p38 into a mates tomcat...... based on a range rover and using standard steering components.....

The power steering box is plumbed to the pump by modified hoses to suit the different connections but the seals on the steering colum inlet on the box keep blowing out now.

Is the serp pump that much more powerfull is there a mod or relief valve or similar to be added?

Hi all,

Just fitted a 4.6 out of a p38 into a mates tomcat...... based on a range rover and using standard steering components.....

The power steering box is plumbed to the pump by modified hoses to suit the different connections but the seals on the steering colum inlet on the box keep blowing out now.

Is the serp pump that much more powerfull is there a mod or relief valve or similar to be added?

A blatent bump to the top...struggling on this one

I would suggest a faulty pump or possibly bias valves inside the box.

Les.

Les, both were known working good:

The pump worked fine in the P38 - it was test ran around the field and quarry for a good few hours

The 4 bolt power steering box on the Tomcat was a re-con unit about 4 months ago and was working fine on the old engine

Replaced the box with what seemed a good one, no signs of leaks etc for the exact same fault to appear.

Agree to never say never though... Im in a whole new world of pain with the box, are the bias valves replaceable?

The only thing to have happened inbetween times, Jon, the owner had it running on tickover for about 20mins without PAS fluid in

It may well be a problem with the P38 pump working at a higher pressure. The Land Rover (RRC Defender) steering box seems to run at quite a low pressure compared to other units. I had to use a pressure reducing valve on mine to save the box.

If the pressure is OK then I suppose the first thing to check is that the return pipe is clear and plumbed in to a suitable point on the reservoir. Another option might be that you've swapped the pressure and return pipes over, that certainly causes some odd results.

It may well be a problem with the P38 pump working at a higher pressure. The Land Rover (RRC Defender) steering box seems to run at quite a low pressure compared to other units. I had to use a pressure reducing valve on mine to save the box.

If the pressure is OK then I suppose the first thing to check is that the return pipe is clear and plumbed in to a suitable point on the reservoir. Another option might be that you've swapped the pressure and return pipes over, that certainly causes some odd results.

Good point! ... Jon did the plumbing not me, will check out, although before the first box blew it had lasted about 2hrs of running, the second box blew almost straight away, however, we both commented on how much easier the steering was!! - doh.

Out of interest...what type of valve did you use dave?

Its perplexed me, put a a couple of serp engines in older machines now and never had this problem.

The local hydraulics place had one and supplied it when they made up the power steering pipes for me. I think it's a pretty standard item as they had one on the shelf, just a metal block with three connectors and an adjuster to set the pressure. I put it inline with the pressure pipe and T'd it's return into the return pipe. Any excess oil from the pump cycles straight back into the reservoir.