unstable drive... WHAT IS IT?????

disco-v8

ok some serious help needed here, as me and my dad are totaly confused....

he owns a 1995 300TDI disco which was in ok condition when he bought it a few years ago,just the usual wear and tear on landrover parts, and hes bought loads of new parts for her to get her running perfectly (maily running gear)....

hes done a few jobs for me in the past which included towing cars including a disco on a trailer, and when doing this he has noticed that it hasnt been the easyest car to drive, especaily at speed, its abit hard to keep in a straight line....... So hes bought alot of up grades, and replacment parts for the suspension recently, to try and help with towing, and get rid of a horrible wobble.....

hes replaced all the track rod ends, a drag link bar, wheel bearings, swile bearings (swile kits), 4x ball joint drop links on the anti roll bars, rubber dough nut, 2x UJ's in front prop.....

hes upgraded all the bushes to polly bushies including the shock rubbers, drop link rubbers, stearing damper etc. heavy duty A-fame ball joint, front and rear heavy duty springs (no extra lift), heavy duty super GAZ shocks front and back (no extra travel), super GAZ steering damper....

as you can imagine it looks brilliant under neith with all the new parts, and is mechanicaly sound....

only problem is that we have done all this to her to make her perfect for towing, but she has a horrible wobble now and again towing or not towing, and it feels as its snaking even tho it hasnt got a trailer on her, and its even worse with a trailer on :o ......

i used to own a 300tdi disco and i could happly drive at "cough" 90 on the motor way with one hand on the wheel and the other on the stick, and would happly drive like that for hours..... but when i drive his i wont go above 60 and have both sweaty hands on the wheel for when it has a dodgey wobble on her.... ive even drove my V8 offroader with low inflated tyres filled with mud, and knackered shocks easyer then i drove his....... god nos how he manged to tow with it....

can anybody please help us with this problem, we just dont understand why it does it,and its abit worring to drive now, any coment welcome

Have you checked the tracking is correct? What tyres are you running and at what pressures?

A bent or out of adjustment track rod can give horribly unpredictable steering, one minute it is fine the next minute it is trying to breed with the ditch.

I would be almost certain that having a Gas Steering Damper is the Fault, as the symptoms you describe sound exactly like the problems I was having.

Certainly be worth trying a standard one. I took mine off and fitted a britpart one. Now the vehicle handles like a dream!!

Check out this thread

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=38702

I would be almost certain that having a Gas Steering Damper is the Fault, as the symptoms you describe sound exactly like the problems I was having.

Certainly be worth trying a standard one. I took mine off and fitted a britpart one. Now the vehicle handles like a dream!!

Check out this thread

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=38702

i very much dought that its the steering damper, gas or not..... as it did it before the damper was fitted, it did it when there was no damper on,and it does it now with the new damper on.....

thanks for the reply tho, as all info is very welcome to help us

thanks