help please..

uksniper1

hi,my rear window wiper has just stopped working,i was wondering if any one knew where the relay was for this?.ive checked the fuses behind the cover on the passenger side dash and all seems ok..was out with the off road club over the weekend and it did get a good work out,big drops,and loads of water,could it be some thing to do with it?..thanks for any input.. :)

My rear wiper motor stopped working. Blew the fuse a few times before dying completely. In true british leyland fashion it didn't like it when it rained!

Just took it off in the end and taped up the hole for now, til I get a 2nd hand unit. I think the units jam, you may be able to take it apart and clean/lube it. Do a search on here, i'm sure i've seen it before. Good luck.

I would start by checking for a voltage at the wiper motor connection and go from there. Bear in mind that the wiper might be disabled when the tailgate is open and after the initial 2 or 3 wipes goes to intermittent mode.

Sounds highly possible that after a good workout from your recent outing that the motor is in need of some tlc - worn brushes etc.

First check is that the interior light is working with the opening and closing of the doors. Because as SteveRK said there is an inhibitor to prevent the wiper from working with the tailgate open. If the interior light has stopped working you will need to rectify this first.

Mark.

thanks for all the replies. ;) ..i gave it a bit of a light tap and it started working again so it must have got stuck...thanks for the help again..wayne.

Hi,

I´d guess the wiper-shaft that the arm is attached to is rusted. There´s a small plastic cap to keep water out, still my wiper motor stopped working at age of 16 :) There was a annoying "click .. clickclick" coming from behind that I couldn´t trace for a while.

There was a guy who fortunaltely published in a german forum how to dismantle the rear wiper motor. It´s pretty easy. The shaft/rod could be de-rusted and all put together with lots of grease. I bought a replacement wiper motor via ebay but when it arrived the faulty motor was working again. Because the procedure was very easy I "overhauled" the spare too (now "in stock") :)

Maybe you could "bypass" that work by removing the wiper arm, then taking the plastic cap away and trying to get some WD40/engine oil into the wiper shaft/bush.