fault code 144

sheltie50

This guy might be able to 'translate' the 144 error code. Phone him when you have time for a chat.

Most of what is below is from a post I contributed to another forum in July 2008.

www.remmington.plus.com/ carries some very useful information within it, and Peter Remmington (note 2 M's) is a very helpful guy.

Otherwise known as King's Lynn Auto Diagnostics.

They will do a postal Test & Calibration service, to which you have to add the local cost of removing & replacing the pump.

http://fp.remmington.plus.com/edc%20diesel%20pump.htm

Included with detail on other testing procedures is the same table as on the BBA site, I don't know who had it first.

http://fp.remmington.plus.com/testproceed.html

As a side note, http://fp.remmington.plus.com/rederv.htm is an interesting read, covering Red diesel and Vegetable oil diesel.

TT Automotive is considered a good source of Bosch parts at competitive prices, but ignore the website reference, their receptionist says "we don't have a web site at the moment". They also have a workshop. Recommended.

www.applegate.co.uk/company/10/38/215.htm

Further reading, especially if you want to understand the innards of the FIP.

The VE pump Technical Manual, all 60 plus pages.

www.htsuk.plus.com/BOSCH_VE_PUMPS.pdf

If you are not already intimately familiar with the VE pump, look at the sections explaining the mechanical control elements BEFORE reading the electronics section.

BBA Remanufacturing say "Actuator commonly failing on the Bosch EDC diesel pump range, below is a comprehensive table for fault diagnosis. BBA now test and rebuild.

(Table at www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=common_rail_diesel_technology I know it's in the Common Rail section, that's a BBA error).

www.bba-reman.com is the main page.

Range Rover is listed under LandRover

Look at the tabs across the top, they list 'Good Garages'. I haven't tried any garages listed in this list.

HTH

Thank you for ALL the info and support, it must have taken quite some time to put that together. Ive had the timing checked again and been told it's spot on but is wandering inconsistently, Bosch equipment.

Tonight I have gone over everything I can without real equipment again including the fuel tank breather and found nothing, it does what it says on the can, I am reluctant to think that the pump is fluberd but am reasonably confident that nothing else has any sort of problem "I hope" looks like I must send the pump for repair, will try another fuel filter just in case.

Just for others reading this and my other posts, the symptoms are -- Feels like the timing is just a bit off, running slightly rough, stalling when the throttle is lifted, bad to start hot or cold (needs lots of heat) heavier than normal fuel consumption, holding back "like a mile wide flat spot" around 2400rpm which does ease if I lift off but comes back again at higher rev's