battery charging light

Hi all. I hope I post this in the right spot!!! This is my 1st post on here, I am not just new to Land Rover I am new to 4x4 having just got rid of my beloved Renault Van and the wife’s Rover to share a Defender 90, on an S registation (one of the last TDIs I understand)

I think/hope I made a wise purchase as it’s a genuine 46K mileage with full Land Rover service history, Lady owner, never been off road (not yet anyway) in great condition and none of the bad bits for a 10 year old landy that I was warned about when looking to buy.

Only been driving it for two weeks and so far FANTASTIC but tonight the battery charging light came on after I switched the engine off. The light stays on even when keys removed from ignition. Switch ignition back on and the light goes out as you would expect. But why does it stay on when ignition is off and it’s parked up?

Any help anyone?

i'd disconnect the battery lead when parked otherwise the battery will probably be dead the next time you try to start it.

I'd also check the battery voltage with the engine running to ensure its not overcharging when your driving it.

Thank you all. I will get a new alternator, great things these forums.

With what you have said I put a meter on the alternator and battery to do a test and with the engine off the battery is reading 11.3 Amps and when I start the engine it only runs up to 12.8 Amps and that is slowly, I think it should wiz up to about 14 Amps when engine is running, so its not charging properly. I can understand why the previous keeper had to have the battery changed just before she put it up for sale. I think running it with lights and Air Con fan the other night drained the battery a bit and the battery warning light is on as the battery is low. I bet if I put the battery on charge tonight the light will not be on tomorrow.

And I am sorry for buying a defender with Air Con, but as I said before the wife let me get rid of her car as well as my van to buy this landy so I had to make the change as user friendly as possible for her too. Need not have worried, she loves it.

When you say amps do you mean volts?

A charged battery should read >12.6v at rest, and you should get around 14v with the engine running. It might be an idea to rev it up a bit and see if the voltage increases, as if there is a large drain on the alternator because the battery is nearly flat, the alternator wont be able to keep up at idle and the voltage will stay low.

The "battery warning" light is infact an alternator light, it comes on when the alternators output doesnt match the battery voltage.

For it to come on with the engine/ignition off, it would imply there is a short in the diode pack on the alternator.

Sorry Aragorn, your correct I meant Volts not amps. And Western also pointed out the problem would be the diode pack. I have taken the battery off to day and put it on charge so I can get out to a 4x4 jumble tomorrow. I will get a new alternator on Monday.

Thanks again.