Lifting off the body of an 88 in one piece

calvin

Yes we did it,

Our method was:

Undo all the bolts securing body to the chassis.

Put a strap through passenger door, straight through and out of drivers door, loop round at the top.

Lift using JCB Bucket

Took a couple of goes as the first time we went to lift, we realised we had left a couple of bolts

Second go we had missed a wiring harness

Third go was successful but we'd left the gearstick in place which we should have removed. The lift bent the gearstick a bit.

I was worried that the strap through the doors might bend the roof but id didn't. We then dropped the body onto a spare flat bed trailer.

We then did all the work over about 2 months, then didn't have the same luxury of using a friends JCB so we had to put the body back on in one peice which was tricky. For this we backed the trailer with body up to the rolling chassis. We then used jacks and blocks of wood to lift one end of the body high enough to slide a large peice of wood underneath which rested on one of those hugh metal oil drums on each side. Then we did the same at the other end so the body was now suspended in the air sitting on two planks of wood (railway sleeper type size) on 4 oil drums. We were then able to slide the trailer out from underneath, and push the rolling chassis into place. After a bit of fiddling (the battery tray was catching if I remember correctly) we had the chassis in place underneath. We then took a corner of one end each, and a third person pulled the wood out. We then lowered it down by hand. This was then repeated for the rear.

I thought I'd mention how it was put on incase you can use any of that backwards for the removal?

Cheers for all that. I havent the benefit of a JCB or similar, so I was thinking of hiring a lifting frame and a chain hoist for the removal, leaving it on the floor for the duration of the chassis work and then hiring the frame and chain hoist again to put it back on again.

cheers

Cheers for all that. I havent the benefit of a JCB or similar, so I was thinking of hiring a lifting frame and a chain hoist for the removal, leaving it on the floor for the duration of the chassis work and then hiring the frame and chain hoist again to put it back on again.

cheers

Does it have to be done in one peice?

We did ours in one peice for speed and ease at the time, but I have since removed and replace the roof and side panels a couple of times which is dead easy.

You could remove the rear door, unbolt the roof from the windscreen and unbolt the side panels from the tub, and lift the roof & sides off between two of you.

Work so far would only take about an hour.

Then it would be best to remove the front doors - (I've never managed to undo mine) , then take the floor panels and the seat box out. Then remove the bulkhead and tub separatley.

It isn't that much more work in the long run, but would be easier and you would find all those hidden bits which are falling apart!