Pillar drill too fast even on slowest set up

I have a 1974 Startrite Mercury pillar drill with the 3-phase motor still fitted. The whole thing is run by an inverter and I use that to control the chuck speed. I can turn it right down to just a few rpm if necessary.

Les.

Thanks,

I had a rather more low-tec idea come to me today, perhaps it would be possible to invert one of the pulley cones on the spindle to get a favourable gearing cone to cone so to speak, as they are held on with a hex grub screw that will still secure the cone if the pulley is inverted and the pulley is "v" shaped and so the belt shouldnt come off the cone. Any thoughts as a quick fix????? ;)

But they already gear it down - inverting one would make it geared 1:1 or worse still, gear it up!

You can buy a third pullet set/ cone and mount it on a bracket as an intermediate. The problem with that being the torque sometimes overcomes the belt friction. thats why lower speed drills have geared heads - even if its half geared and half belts/cones, like one of mine, the secondary speed reduction is always gears to cope with the torque.

Al.

But they already gear it down - inverting one would make it geared 1:1 or worse still, gear it up!

You can buy a third pullet set/ cone and mount it on a bracket as an intermediate. The problem with that being the torque sometimes overcomes the belt friction. thats why lower speed drills have geared heads - even if its half geared and half belts/cones, like one of mine, the secondary speed reduction is always gears to cope with the torque.

Al.

Perhaps it is Variable frequency drive alternative then!!!

Thanks

James