Brake vacuum pump- 200TDi

Mine got stuck this evening- took the top off and no sign of any problems. Is this common?

It has never done it before. Brakes felt really bad almost like the servo had failed. The pedal was solid and was really hard to get the brakes to bite.

Paddocks want 105 plus VAT for one. Assuming it is a direct drive unit from the cam shaft, is it the vanes that need replacement or looking at once in a while?

I moved the vanes with a screwdriver to check for cack in between them and all was ok. Put it back together and all is fine now.

Anyone had this experience with 200's??

If the shaft had busted, then it's highly unlikely that the pump will work afterwards. The shaft is brittle steel and will just snap. Are you sure the pump jammed? (the valve could have stuck momentarily). If the shaft snapped above the cam, then it should just lift out. The vanes will also break, and you would have noticed that when you checked them. Wear on the vanes is determined by how far out of their slots they are when in contact with the inside face of the pump casing. If the shaft had broken below the cam, then the vaccuum pump would have still been working, but not the oil pump, and no oil pressure means a wrecked engine. I would suggest you remove the pump and check everything you can.

Les.

• 4 years later...

if it got stuck then the drive shaft that also runs the oil pump should be checked for damge too, the vacuum pump & oil pump use the cam shaft gear to drive both.

File0032.jpg

File0031.jpg

File0030.jpg

Hi there Western, what manual have you got these scans/drawing from? and where can i get this manual?! Many Thanks!