Help needed with rev counter on Classic

Dr W

Hi all

I've got a Classic on which the Rev Counter was working fine before I replaced the HT leads.

Is there any reason why swapping the leads over would stop the rev counter working, I guess I've knocked a connection but trying to figure out where to start looking.

Does the rev counter take it's signal from the coil or the altenator?

As I said it was working perfectly but now it's not, especially annoying as I'm in the middle of trying to sell it.

Cheers

Does the rev counter take it's signal from the coil or the altenator?

Alternator, but may depend on age.... it's the W terminal, check for broken wires... that's all it probably can be, or a duff rev counter unit of course.

Alternator, but may depend on age.... it's the W terminal, check for broken wires... that's all it probably can be, or a duff rev counter unit of course.

Thanks, no it was all working fine until i decided to replace ht leads and then noticed it was no longer working.

I'll check all the connections and see what happens.

I think the rev counter is fed from one of the coil low tension connectors - this fits if you have replaced the coil HT lead as you might have 'disturbed' the connection

If the connections are intact then its likely a fracture in the wire - get someone to observe the rev counter while you fiddle with the wiring to see if it starts working

It's a 91 J reg Classic 3.9.

I was removing a unconnected power amp at the time (only leads connected were an earth and a lead to the '+' on the gas solenoid, it wasn't doing anything as a garage had disconnected as it was making the coil run twice as hot as it should (anyway another story)

Snipped the wire to the '+' and then unbolted the earth connector (which was earthing two wires) and removed one of the wires and replaced.

I'll check that the earth is making a good connection and then check each of the wires round coil and alternator, I hate electrical problems as you just can't see any obvious that's causing the problem.