300tdi sump off

Hi all,

I have to face up to removing and replacing the sump on my 300tdi, as it's dripping enough oil from the back to be annoying, and I don't think it's coming out of the flywheel housing. So, I thought I'd give it a clean out, obviously, while it was off. Are there any other things that I really ought to do while it's off, like replace the O ring on the oil pickup? I have had a few flickers from the oil light on tickover when the oil is very hot, eg after a motorway run with a trailer, and was wondering whether I should look at bearings, oil pump etc? I know the oil pressure switches can give trouble so that's the prime suspect for the flicker as generally everything is OK, no knocking etc. It's done 95k. I'm torn between checking stuff and if it aint broke don't fix it. Does anything in this area give trouble?

Nigel