Leaking oil but where from???

JJ7893

Hi all it now been a week since the disco been on the road, And had to sort out a few problems and now more has come up but have no idea! First off the the steering juddered till I picked up the speed and had it looked at by a landrover dealer and they said it was the UJ on the front prop now that been replaced. Next was the Alternator was replaced as it was grinding.

Now did a oil dipstick cheak and it on min! where it was full last weekend. I can see where it been leaking as there oil all over the anti roll bar and the gearbox housing is covered in fresh oil, but cant see where it leaking from. Do anyone know where it could be coming from? Meaning is there a common place for it to leak from?

I don't want to take it all apart and replace nothing for nothing. It been for a jet wash last week and did the engine bay and I can't see any oil there now. Only around the clutch housing area. And now the rear axle is leaking too so going to sort that out in the week.

It a 300tdi Es 1994 Discovery.

Thanks for any help that come's forward .........Regards JJ

Could be the rear of the rocker cover - the 300TDi rocker gaskets are difficult to keep in place when putting the cover back on. Nothing else at the back of the head - apart from the head gasket. Oil feed to the head is at the rear, drivers side corner.

Les.

Hi,

Check the brake vacuum pump. I had oil all over the roll bar bush, chassis, bell housing etc. The pump to block gasket may be leaking but it is more likely to be the pump. It is a sealed unit. Well, I mended mine, nothing to lose, worth trying before buying a new one. The leak was from the join between the main pump body and its cover, which is fixed in place by rivets. Simply remove the pump, clean it and drill out the rivets to remove the cover. Check the internals for wear or damage. If ok, then try to find a new o ring at a seal/bearing factor. Locate some suitable bolts, lockwashers and nuts, I had to make the holes in the body/ cover a bit larger. I used blue hylomar to ensure a good seal between the pump and body.Make absolutely sure the internals are clean before reassemby.

Did mine about 9 months ago, no leaks, brakes fine.

Just waiting for the old girl to come back from the welder! Holy(?) os sill!

Cheers, Bill

Hi,

Check the brake vacuum pump. I had oil all over the roll bar bush, chassis, bell housing etc. The pump to block gasket may be leaking but it is more likely to be the pump. It is a sealed unit. Well, I mended mine, nothing to lose, worth trying before buying a new one. The leak was from the join between the main pump body and its cover, which is fixed in place by rivets. Simply remove the pump, clean it and drill out the rivets to remove the cover. Check the internals for wear or damage. If ok, then try to find a new o ring at a seal/bearing factor. Locate some suitable bolts, lockwashers and nuts, I had to make the holes in the body/ cover a bit larger. I used blue hylomar to ensure a good seal between the pump and body.Make absolutely sure the internals are clean before reassemby.

Did mine about 9 months ago, no leaks, brakes fine.

Just waiting for the old girl to come back from the welder! Holy(?) os sill!

Cheers, Bill

I bought a length of "O"-ring rubber and a tube of super glue, and made a seal

On my vacuum pump, one of the sealcovers was also leaking (one of those sunken holes) Covered that with silicon, and no more leaks after that

No hassles after more than a year

Cheers guys I will have a look in to the pump as my genuine rocker gasket come today so I had that off and did a clean behind the head and there was no oil there but I had a return pipe from the rocker to the pump? Well that was not fixed on! the clip was too small and replaced that with bigger clip and I will give the engine block a good deep clean tomorrow and see what happens. But think I will look at the pump tomorrow as there is a lot of oil there. So thanks for your help guys .......JJ

Cheers guys I will have a look in to the pump as my genuine rocker gasket come today so I had that off and did a clean behind the head and there was no oil there but I had a return pipe from the rocker to the pump? Well that was not fixed on! the clip was too small and replaced that with bigger clip and I will give the engine block a good deep clean tomorrow and see what happens. But think I will look at the pump tomorrow as there is a lot of oil there. So thanks for your help guys .......JJ

Hi, I'm sure the only rubber pipe going to/from the brake servo pump goes to the servo. If you have an oilly o/s engine mount and o/s anti roll chassis mount then my money is on the pump, clean the pump, run the engine and you will soon get a film of oil on the flange join. Does it leave a small pool of oil on the ground immeadiately below the anti roll bar mount? Is the harmonic damper donut thing well oily? My block was not at all oily, but these other bits were! If you decide to take the pump off put the engine at TDC no1 cyl, to release pressure on the pump return spring. You may find the heel on the pump plunger that runs on the cam a bit pitted, this isnt a problem. If you get a new tapping noise when you refit the pump, dont worry. Mine soon settled down once the plunger had settled back in after 148000 miles of being left undisturbed!

Cheers, Bill