tig welding roll cage

roachy

hey guys, i got myself a truck cab roll cage from billing today with the good intentions of migging it, however i've realised that to get a better looking weld i may aswell borrow my tig welder from work and use that.

here's the problem, i have only got 316grade stainless filler rods, if i remember correctly stainless is weaker than steel therefor wont be any good protecting me from death as i plummet down a steep hill? please correct me if im wrong?

does anyone know what grade rods would be best suited for this application?

i have some old steel rods left over from the days of gas welding but i'm not sure of the grade and dont think i have enough of them anyway.

or do you think i'm being too poncy and should just blast it with the mig?

thanks in advance for any advice ;-)

cheers guys, thats perfect, got some 2.4mm rods coming tomorrow, what sort of current am i going to be needing to get the penetration? my welder tends to blow a 13amp fuse with anything over 90-95 amps, so normally switch to 415 above that.

also i haven't done alot of mild tigging, 98% of welding i do is stainless. I assume it's just the same? just needs a bit more heat?

Just cut a few bits of tube up, fishmouth an end, and do some test joints. To be honest, if you really can tig weld well, you'll be able to tell everything you need from your test joints.

If you can't, use mig, and don't pulse it - get some proper heat into the joint.

Al.