Bang! from underneath, no drive

Riverside

Hi all.

My mate just rang, his late 200Tdi has died. He started it, reversed a short way, stopped, selected 1st, BANG, no drive. He can select all gears, when engaging the clutch there is gear type whirring noises in all gears, which goes when clutch pedal pressed down. I suspect output shaft problems. Any other ideas? DIY rebuild with new parts (I'm good with gearboxes) or good s/h unit from a dead mot failure?

Cheers all, Riverside

ps My 300TDi has another years worth of mot!!

Thanks for the replies. Phoned him to see if he had checked the obvious, re. halfshafts and hi-lo lever. Clutch appears to be working, all gears select, spinning noises from gearbox match engine speed and gear selected, so nothing is making it to the transfer gears. He's going to have a peek inside via the pto cover just to confirm it. BTW milage is approx 100k and it supposedly has led a reasonably easy life. It has been clunking quite badly on taking up drive in 1st and reverse has also just come out!!! Another mate of his has an auto box lying around, but have persuaded him that this conversion is a non-starter, unless anyone knows otherwise?

Cheers, Bill