input gear 230 transfer box

should there be a nut securing the input gear to the main gearbox shaft and if so does anybody have a part no for it?

gear box is lt77 on a g reg 110 and believed to be original(about the only thing that is)

many thanks ped

Nope. No Nut. The input gear is held in place as its bearings sit in races at wither end and the race at the rear of the input gear is in the bearing carrier which is initially held in place with to recessed torx screws. This it then secured properly when the PTO cover plate is bolted in place. The preload that holds the input gear and bearings is set by the thickness of shims in the bearing carrier - this determines the 'tightness' of the bearings in their races once everything is torqued up.

cheers lads when transfer box was replaced last year with a range rover auto one ,discovered that some kind soul had welded a nut on the end of the main shaft(4 hours of extra pleasure laid on my back in the rain)

as the range rover didn't have a nut on(auto box)and no thread i put it back on the same as it came off and thought it must be lt77 boxes that had a nut

now due to alot off towing i need to go back to a 1.4 t/box and just wanted to make 100% sure that there is no nut

many thanks ped