Steering relay, or something else?

MECCANO

My series makes a horrific clunk when you turn sharply. Prior to taking it off the road it only made the sound on an odd occasion. I presumed it was the result of nackered chassis bushes for the front springs. However i replaced these when it was off road. and since drving it again the problems seems to have worsened.

I've checked all the u bolts and every bolt to do with the suspension/ steering, and they all seem tight.

I know its not the track rod/ drag link (and their ends ) as they have been replaced. I don't think the steering box could be it either as that has been replaced with a good one by a previous owner. So i figure it can only be the link between the steering box and relay, or most likely the relay its self.

So is this a common problem with series?

Thanks for any feedback

Chris

I've not heard of many steering relays snapping inside but I am aware of them wearing out.

Have you checked that the steering box itself hasn't worked loose? As this can happen and be hard to track down without another pair of eyes.

Another possible cause is a locating peg has snapped off a spring. This will allow the axle to move, even with tightened U bolts.

I've not heard of many steering relays snapping inside but I am aware of them wearing out.

Have you checked that the steering box itself hasn't worked loose? As this can happen and be hard to track down without another pair of eyes.

Another possible cause is a locating peg has snapped off a spring. This will allow the axle to move, even with tightened U bolts.

Cheers Rich. I dont think it could be the location pin as i've have two different sets of parabolics on it, and it has made the sound on both. (and the first sets pins were fine when removed).

I can only think its the shaft moving in the relay. I may try fitting a nipple to it and packing it full of grease. That should eliminate the noise for a short time until the grease works out. Then that should prove the theory.

Chris

I had a clunk on my old series 3 on turning, could not find it, until i got out one day to find front wheel at bit of an angle as front wheeel bearing had worn out.easy fix in my case :rolleyes:

I had a clunk on my old series 3 on turning, could not find it, until i got out one day to find front wheel at bit of an angle as front wheeel bearing had worn out.easy fix in my case :rolleyes:

Excellent. ha ha ha :lol:

Well i'm pretty sure its not the wheel bearings, as they were all renewed when i rebuilt the axles about 10k ago.

I'm starting to think its an articulation thing. So i'm going to check all the shackle bolts.