advice on clutch change td5

spudd

Hi all

my td5 has started to slip the clutch now and again. been on another forum lots of talk of help and advice until it comes to the nitty gritty.so can anyone advise wether best to drop gearbox or remove engine.done it before on you r average joes car but never a 4x4. any genuine advice or help offered greatfully recieved.

atb.spudd

Hi all

my td5 has started to slip the clutch now and again. been on another forum lots of talk of help and advice until it comes to the nitty gritty.so can anyone advise wether best to drop gearbox or remove engine.done it before on you r average joes car but never a 4x4. any genuine advice or help offered greatfully recieved.

atb.spudd

try putting your where abouts onyour profile so people know where your from and offer help ,

cheers joe

The dual mass flywheel failed on my 2001 Td5 last year .

I decided to remove the engine as I had done this before with a 300 Tdi .

I do have an engine hoist and this managed the job easily enough .

I took my time as I also changed the front and rear crankshaft seals ; the injector harness ; water pump ; thermostat ; a few hoses which were beginning to look the worse for wear ; and I also took off the sump and Loctited the bolt on the oil pump sprocket .

I also treated the power steering pipes which run across under the radiator and were quite rusty in places .

There are a lot of things you can do much easier with the engine out - and the wiring looms etc are easy enough to manage .

I couldn't say how long the job took in total - but the access was great .

I put back most of the spring type hose clips - if I was doing it again I would replace them with new worm drive clips .

I had to replace most of them over the first month or so as they began to leak :angry: .

The dealers do it by moving the gearbox back about 6-8". This means takning most of the internal centre consul (around the gear lever) out in order to get the top bell-housing bolts out.

I thought that the price I got from the dealer for mine (clutch and d/m flywheel) was more than fair for the amount of work I envisaged. Especially as they have had to do it twice because the replacement flywheel wasn't vey good!!

Money well spent in my book!