discovery immobiliser trouble

sargejnr

i have a 98, 300 gs discovery and my immobiliser has started to play up, it works ok sometimes nut other times i can be pressing the remote button for 10 maybe 20 mins before the immobiliser clears and enables me to start up, does anyone know what this could be, iv changed the battery in the remote, im totaly stuck

Thats different then, is your disco a UK spec one?

This is copied from the owners handbook for a 98 UK spec disco.:

Engine immobilisation is an important aspect of the security system, and includes a feature known as ’passive immobilisation’. This is designed to safeguard the vehicle from theft should the driver forget to lock the doors and ensures that the engine is immobilised automatically whenever any of the following

conditions occur:

- when the vehicle is locked using the handset or key.

- thirty seconds after the starter switch has been turned off AND the driver’s door opened.

- five minutes after the starter switch is turned off, or the alarm system is disarmed.

The engine will be re-mobilised automatically whenever the key is inserted into the starter switch, provided the handset is kept on the key ring in close proximity to the starter switch.

iv got seperate key and remote, i know some of the later ones had the buttons on the key but mine are on a seperate remote

That's correct for later 300 series discos they have a two button fobs, only the disco two and onwards have a key combined fob.

That's correct for later 300 series discos they have a two button fobs, only the disco two and onwards have a key combined fob.

It should de-immobilise still when held close to the exciter ring behind the igntion switch - my '96 300 XS does it - mind you I only found out about it 2 months ago! If this feature works ok - just turn off the igntion wait for the immob to kick-in with a click from near the glove box then put the key in the ignition and turn it on - the 'car with a spanner in it' light and the little red led will be lit on the dash then just hold the fob right next to the igntion switch and it should go out. If that works it points to an anntena fault with the alarm ECU - green box bolted to the side of the ABS ECU under the glove box. Well, to my mind anyways...........