cleaning/polishing chequer plate

hobson

Cleaning things (especially landrovers) is not my forte, and i reckon chequer plate looks better in mud anyway, but be that as it may, a friend wants to try and get the tarnishing out of his, he has natural alloy chequer plate, i thought of brasso or autosol but it'd be a nightmare to do with the raised bars,

anyone got any good tips or recommended products for cleaning it up?

oh, and he's not a complete fool, it's on a cross country horse carriage, not a defender! :rolleyes:

I thought as much, but said i'd ask anyway, i'll recommend to him having it anodised, that should keep it looking better for longer...

told him to paint it black like mine and he looked at me in disgust, there's just no pleasing some people!

Theres not much point in doing it in the first place, but you can tell your friend that he can remove the surface dirt, and bring up a reasonable amount of shine by using some Cillit Bang. Spray it all over the Ali plate, allow it to settle for a couple of minutes, then mop it all up with one of those kitchen sponge/scouring pads, the one that is a sponge, with the rougher thinner pad stuck on one side.

The raised bars of the tread plate wont slow you down.

It wont come out looking like chrome, but it neatens things up a treat.