disco 1 mods

andylandy

If you keep it on the street, I wouldn't mod it extensively. Maybe tune up the turbo and fuelpump, and get a roofrack an ladder if you're going to use it for trips and vacations.

When you're going to use it offroad: loose the front spoiler, get new tires and maybe a lift and sill protectors (like rocksliders)

I'll be watching this tread closly, I'm at the same point. I've got a 200Tdi and also don't know if I should go street or off road. I can see about a million pounds worth off things that i NEED to buy for it (no honest I do need them really honest).

I'll be watching this tread closly, I'm at the same point. I've got a 200Tdi and also don't know if I should go street or off road. I can see about a million pounds worth off things that i NEED to buy for it (no honest I do need them really honest).

thats the problem do i pimp it I.E bang some 22s and a lowering kit on it

or lift it and bolt on a million pounds worth of goodies

like ita been said loose front spoiler and the best 100 pound i spent was a set of 50mm lift springs lot firmer ride less wallowing into the corners but the worlds your oyster ive also got a winch bumper, steering guard,light bar ,snorkel and looking for a winch ,chris

Its all about choices, isn't it?

Mine is an 80% street car and I want it to look smart and perform, although its also got to pay its keep for the business, trundle materials about etc.

This summer I am slowly but surely painting it black panel by panel because I had to deal with the corrosion that appears on the ally panels. Taking off the wings revealed the usual inner wing rot, so out came the mig and that got sorted. However, "if it's worth doing" etc so clean clean, scrape scrape, body schutz & about 3 kilos of Waxoyl, new bolts to replace the rusty ones I had to grind off and for some reason SWMBO keeps mentioning grass getting longer.......!

What I really need is some of that commodity that is free at the point of use (a bit like the NHS) and yet never seems available when you want it (the analogy seems to keep going....) TIME!! :angry:

For off road use, the basic modifications are some strong recovery points (front and rear) incase something goes wrong and a suitable set of tyres on it for the terrain (which does vary quite a bit).

For on road use again suitable tyres are a priority. Mud terrains being the obvious example of a poor choice for onroad performance. If you can store them a second set of tyres is a sensible solution allowing a better compromise between on and off road perfomance.

For either situation rust protection is a sensible option. Mud from off roading traps water against steel parts to ensure rusting and on road salt used to prevent roads icing up is also a catalysts that accelerates the rate of rusting.

There are lots of options for modifying though their suitablity can vary from one vehicle/driver to the next, just what the vehicle is expected to do and personal preferances.

i am going for a street look

i have some 18" alloys

some d2-d1 adaptors

hopefully a disco 50th complete trim

i hope to lower 3-4 inches any advice will be great

I was under the impression that 65mm (2.5" in old money) was the maximum you could lower a disco - but I am going to space the wheels 30mm either side, which should improve cornering when I get round to it and the paint job is done.

I had hoped to be outside doing the Disco today, but what was meant to be a day off has only just finished........ :(

I was under the impression that 65mm (2.5" in old money) was the maximum you could lower a disco - but I am going to space the wheels 30mm either side, which should improve cornering when I get round to it and the paint job is done.

I had hoped to be outside doing the Disco today, but what was meant to be a day off has only just finished........ :(

thanks for that info i will start at 2.5"

i will be using conversion spacers so i can use D2 wheels if i go for a 35 or 45 profile will i be able to go lower?

just ordered front and rear lights and side repeaters from bolt on bits

and i am of to discovery breakers for a leather trim and some 18" wheels

Hi I shifted to NZ a few years back and bought a 1992 3.5 V8 Disco and joined the Otago LR club, most of the guy's discos are pretty much standard. Mine is apart from a steering /recovery guard I made, runs on Firestone RMT A/T good for on & off road. I have not realy needed a suspension lift yet maybe later probably best to try as is and go from there But recovery points are a must have before anything else.P.S if you dont have a snorkle you wont be tempted to do anything to daring have fun.