steering wobble

ally

hi guys

this is now really getting to me ,ive got a wobble om my steering wheel at around 50 mph ive had the tyres balanced in rhree different places changed the disks and pads changed the steering damper and renewed the ball joints on the steering stabiliser.the gearstick also vibrates more than it possibly should.

its a 2000 td5 disco

Ally

hi guys

this is now really getting to me ,ive got a wobble om my steering wheel at around 50 mph ive had the tyres balanced in rhree different places changed the disks and pads changed the steering damper and renewed the ball joints on the steering stabiliser.the gearstick also vibrates more than it possibly should.

its a 2000 td5 disco

Ally

The traditional list of suspects (all of which you'll find tons of info on if search for "steering wobble" or "steering judder" :rtfm: )include:

Panhard rod bushes knacked

Wheel bearings loose / knacked

Radius arm bushes knacked

Swivel pin pre-load wrong / worn bearings

Steering column UJs knacked

Propshaft UJs knacked (good contender given the symptoms)

Diff drive flange nut loose or pinion bearings going knacked

Have fun <_<

cheers for the ideas, what about the drag link? any photos

thanks again Ally

The drag link is a possibility, but only if (and remembering I'm a 90 owner and know little of these new-fangled "Discovery" things of which you speak) the damper is on the drag link itself.

Photos of all that lot? Goggle, my son, Goggle!

You could also take a canter through the technical archive and the relevant parts pages at LRParts

I do have the same problem, checked all can not find anything wrong except the fact I did fit back the front propshaft the other way round (about a Month ago). So with sleeved section towards the gearbox in stead of the towards the front axle.... Guess that might be the source of my problems? Will take it of and inspect UJ's + fit back, it might fix my steering wobble...

Cheers

Marco

ive checked almost everything, bottom ball joint small perish in it but thats about all,still got cv joints to check and thats me exhausted most avenues.going to swap all wheels as the ones on it are from a rr.my mate has a d3 and has upgraded the wheels and still has standard ones,do they fit?

how do you check cv joints as the boot are not perished and hav no noise from them?

Ally

ive checked almost everything, bottom ball joint small perish in it but thats about all,still got cv joints to check and thats me exhausted most avenues.going to swap all wheels as the ones on it are from a rr.my mate has a d3 and has upgraded the wheels and still has standard ones,do they fit?

how do you check cv joints as the boot are not perished and hav no noise from them?

Ally

You get dirty - Watch with Les

Not been under a D2, but dont discount the rear 'A' frame ball-joint when looking for wobbles at the front that have exhausted all other possibilities - I had a deafener once that had a whole load of kit flung at the front and it didnt cure it then on its next inspection the rear 'A' frame ball-joint was picked up as having a load of lift in it - it was renewed and the front end wobbles went with it............