200DI exhaust manifolds?

Cartman

Do not use a series military oil cooler with a Tdi. The series cooler is a bypass type which has a low flow rate and the Tdi uses a full flow cooler. So use the series cooler at the peril of your engines life.

Cheers for letting me know Phil. I was not aware of that :(

So does the tdi need a cooler if not used hard?

The cooling plan is to keep the Series 3 rad and fit the military oil cooler in front (mountings already there) that way that bit looks std. Intercooler will 'hopefully' be behind the pass side headlight but I still need to look at this.

this is jericho's rad layout

http://forums.lr4x4.com/uploads/1159174958/med_gallery_1618_185_337292.jpg

youcould do it that way

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/200tdiconversion.htm

twizzle :blink:

If you can get a cheap 200tdi defender engine like i have its easy...just locating the parts i need to complete the engine is hard......on a different note all you have to do with the discovery engine with turbo into the 109 is rotate the turbo so that it points upwards just some drilling and tapping involved i beleive....i think jon white has done this on his 88 conversion......as for locating the intercooler it can be placed in front of the series rad with a little bracketry....

No, rotating the turbo's compressor housing only works on the 88 -the 109 has a deeper chassis section and will not clear the compressor casing. You have to use Defender 200Tdi manifolds and turbo.

• 3 weeks later...
Do not use a series military oil cooler with a Tdi. The series cooler is a bypass type which has a low flow rate and the Tdi uses a full flow cooler. So use the series cooler at the peril of your engines life.

Phil,

I wonder if you could give me a bit more info.

Now the Series military cooler is a 'bypass type' so is the flow rate limited by it's internal design or just the use that it is put to with a 2 1/4? If it is more of a pressure issue then I have pressure testing facilities to hand to check the integrity of the military cooler (just aquired one for 99p so no loss if it went wrong?) ;)

The reason I want to go down this road is two fold. Firstly the Disco rad assy I pulled from the donor is in poor condition with the vanes starting to break up. Secondly I would like to keep the LR as std as possible (OK tdi accepted) so as the orginal HD Series 3 rad is quite new I would prefer to keep it and back it up with the military oil cooler or a suitable oil cooler.

Now as an option and avoiding the unknowns at the local scrappy I have looked at this option which is reasonable and would fit with a few mods (and I have suitable 1/2" BSP oil fittings to hand). As to it's BTU rating etc. I do not know but at 10Bar g it is more than strong enough for the oil pressure.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3743%3futm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

m-oc10n-8bsp.jpg