immobiliser hassle

sargejnr

iv got a 300tdi and since i bought the vehicle last year i have had to press a button on my remote to disable the immobiliser, it is now playing up a fair bit and realy bugging me, it can go 2 or 3 weeks with no problems then as i found out this morning after a night shift i was stood outside the vehicle for 35 minutes pressing the remote for it to unlock and disable the immobiliser, does anyone have any ideas what i can do please

Have you a decent battery in the fob? the radio range is not great so stand by the front passenger doot and try from there, thats the nearest you can get to the ECU.

Also as u have a single button fob there is a means to reprograme the fob to the ecu, it's been posted a few times in this forum recently..

Do the indicators flash 3 times when it unlocks/de-immobilses? If not its the batteries in the fob. If it does then it's either a signal range problem and could be down to a worn out fob or a button problem as in the buttons in the fob have collapsed - either way prolly time for a new fob.....

Ok you have two button fob, then all you have to do is place it near the starter switch to re-mobilise the engine. Pressing a button will not re-mobilise the system as it's passive. Unless you don't have a disco that is UK spec.

Also fob's do go out of tune and require a refurb which "remotekey" can carry out for you http://www.remotekey.co.uk/

Taken from the owners handbook:

Engine immobilisation is an important aspect of the security system, and includes a feature known as ’passive immobilisation’. This is

designed to safeguard the vehicle from theft should the driver forget to lock the doors and ensures that the engine is immobilised

automatically whenever any of the following conditions occur:

- when the vehicle is locked using the handsetor key.

- thirty seconds after the starter switch has been turned off AND the driver’s door opened.

- five minutes after the starter switch is turned off, or the alarm system is disarmed.

The engine will be re-mobilised automatically whenever the key is inserted into the starter switch, provided the handset is kept on the

key ring in close proximity to the starter switch.