Another D'OH! moment..

ThreeSheds

Hi,

I had a pair of ring spotlights (the kind that go in the RRC spoiler) at the back of the garage which won't be refitted to the front since I have some others to go on there. Since they are only worth chips I thought I would put them high at the rear as off-road work/reversing lights:

gallery_3439_704_26432.jpg

So - yesterday pm I got them all nicely fitted and wired in with a BIG RED warning light and eagerly awaited nightfall :)

And - they are useless :(:(

What I hadn't taken account of is that they are spots, and so they brilliantly light up about two square feet of ground behind me but are no good at all for reversing or working.

So - my question is can I de-focus them? First thoughts are a quick sand-blasting of the lenses (or maybe even wire brushing (?) but they are old and rusty so are not worth spending anything on over getting new ones.

Other ideas (or opinions as to whether my ideas would work) would be welcome..

Cheers,

Roger

(ps I think they look quite good though ;) )

So - my question is can I de-focus them? First thoughts are a quick sand-blasting of the lenses (or maybe even wire brushing (?) but they are old and rusty so are not worth spending anything on over getting new ones.

To de-focus them you need to move the filament away from the "sweet spot" that produces a parallel beam. Pulling the bulb backwards a little relative to the reflector by inserting a metal washer (for heat and elastick trickery reasons) between them.

By way of example:

post-8420-125291063058_thumb.gif

if you can get to the inside of the glass, a quick going over with coarse aluminium oxide paper will diffuse the beam nicely, but you can't undo this mod :rolleyes: