DISCOVERY CLUNKING

gazmc1973

Hi can any one help me my 91 disco v8 has a clunking noise when changing gear and pulling away (its a manual) its being doing this since i bought it a few months ago i had a look underneath while some one let cluth in and out and it doesnt clunk when not in gear but if select gear and let clutch out and hold on brakes it does and the clunk seems to come from the prop to front wheels where it enters the gear box area (forgive my terminolgy not a 4x4 expert) any help would be great ps props have been replaced before i got it :blink:

This sounds like a routine Land Rover thing. Only (most) new ones don't clunk! If it gets bad it's worth getting the transfer box checked because you don't want to lose drive altogether. After 30 years of Land Rovers from Series 1 through to Range Rovers and now a '93 Disco 200Tdi I've got quite good at changing gear and letting in the clutch without causing a clunk. The only one I've owned that didn't clunk was an auto; they don't!

This sounds like a routine Land Rover thing. Only (most) new ones don't clunk! If it gets bad it's worth getting the transfer box checked because you don't want to lose drive altogether. After 30 years of Land Rovers from Series 1 through to Range Rovers and now a '93 Disco 200Tdi I've got quite good at changing gear and letting in the clutch without causing a clunk. The only one I've owned that didn't clunk was an auto; they don't!

Mines the same, just let the clutch out gently and no clunk, got a funny noise coming from somewhere else though!

Does it judder when you pull away on low'ish revs? If it does check the bell housing is properly secure. I had a problem when I first got my 300 tdi and it turned out the previous owner had changed the clutch but not done the top bolts up enough, which then worked loose and cracked the bell housing !!! OUCH :angry: Been brilliant since I got it mended .

Jules

had the same problem,after a few months of "practising" out it turned out it was a worn output gear/flange, it's the flange that takes the drive from the gearbox main shaft into the transferbox(correct me if i named wrong any parts)

some times a worn main shaft means a lot of labour to fix it.