power loss, help

I have an occasional power loss problem and any opinions would be appreciated:

Every now and then there is s significant loss of power during long journeys.

When gearing down and reving high there are puffs of black smoke (more than ususal).

Yesterday I stopped and wanted to examine further. I found that the engine is running ok on tick over, but when reving slightly higher (approx 200 to 300 rpm more) the engine is running very rough with bad vibrations and grey smoke when pushing the pedal down. It's feeling like it's running on 3 cylinders only. (I think that rules out the turbo hose option)The engine appears to run smoother on higher revs.

After 10 to 20 miles driving the problem dissapears.

I know that my injection pump won't last forever as I have the odd metal powder on the cut off solenoid, but the performance is ok so far (appart from the weak moments)

As this is strangely a self curing problem I thought the following:

Some of the metal powder gets to the injectors, blocking one of them occasionally (or keeping it open). The perssure then cleans it out after a while and it's running fine then.

So: replace injection pump and injectors??????????

Anything I am missing anything, not understanding it, or any other suggestions?

Many thanks