OT, but I can kinda justify it

Pwyll

OK, here goes. If I don't sort this quick I won't get chance to sort the sticky door locks on the Disco this weekend!

SWMBO has a Scooby Forester. Being particularly disorganised she only noticed that the MOT was up a day early. Booked in for this afternoon. Failed on number plate light out. Bulb says I. So changed, but no joy. As she needed the car for work this evening, I needed a quick fix. So patched into the side lights to get power down to the number plate lights. All fine, passed MOT and off to work she goes.

Trouble is, when she arrived home, the sidelights won't turn off now! I've disconnected my little splice with no effect. I have disconnected the battery for tonight, but what could be causing this?

My initial thought is that there is a relay in the system somewhere that has stuck on. Or maybe the steering column switch? But surely two small number plate bulbs would not overload things that much, would they?

Any thoughts on the matter very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

OK, here goes. If I don't sort this quick I won't get chance to sort the sticky door locks on the Disco this weekend!

SWMBO has a Scooby Forester. Being particularly disorganised she only noticed that the MOT was up a day early. Booked in for this afternoon. Failed on number plate light out. Bulb says I. So changed, but no joy. As she needed the car for work this evening, I needed a quick fix. So patched into the side lights to get power down to the number plate lights. All fine, passed MOT and off to work she goes.

Trouble is, when she arrived home, the sidelights won't turn off now! I've disconnected my little splice with no effect. I have disconnected the battery for tonight, but what could be causing this?

My initial thought is that there is a relay in the system somewhere that has stuck on. Or maybe the steering column switch? But surely two small number plate bulbs would not overload things that much, would they?

Any thoughts on the matter very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

depends on how new it is. Most modern cars have a courtesy light feature on sidelights/headlights now to allow you to get in the front door after switching off. Have you tried locking car with remote and/or leaving it a couple of minutes after locking to see if side light goes out.

Other thought make sure indicator switch is centred as new cars leave left or right sidelights on as parking lamp if you push the ind stalk up or down.

Pete

You hit the nail on the head there, Pete. When I had chance to look over it in daylight this morning, after much head scratching, just as I was about to strip the shroud off the steering column to get at the stalk to see if it had fused I noticed the switch on the top of the shroud that I has missed in my frustration last night. Yes, you've guessed it, the switch had a little letter "P" on it. Mrs must've knocked it as she got out last night!

At least she owes me a favour now tho. :wub:;)

Was going to say... check the park switch omn top of the shroud, a common subaru feature. Regarding the number plate light. If it is on the tailgate (as opposed to the bumper then the wires in the rubber "pipe" where the talgate joins the bodywork are notorious for chaffing through. Everything more or less stopped working on my impreza estate due to this! I had to strip it out and splice in new wire to fix.