Help

Weird one happened today. I was lifting my gearbox / transferbox using a borrowed engine hoist (my dad is currently hogging my new one), i must have lifted it at least 3 feet off the deck in order to clear the chassis when the jib of the hoist collapsed! The gearbox/transferbox free-fell to the deck with a sickening crash. Ive never seen or heard of a hoist doing this before. The whole unit fell into the concrete floor transfer-brake first. Is it possible for me to have seriously damaged something? None of the casings have split but i was concerned about maybe the shaft that the brake is connected to could have bent. Is that possible?

Weird one happened today. I was lifting my gearbox / transferbox using a borrowed engine hoist (my dad is currently hogging my new one), i must have lifted it at least 3 feet off the deck in order to clear the chassis when the jib of the hoist collapsed! The gearbox/transferbox free-fell to the deck with a sickening crash. Ive never seen or heard of a hoist doing this before. The whole unit fell into the concrete floor transfer-brake first. Is it possible for me to have seriously damaged something? None of the casings have split but i was concerned about maybe the shaft that the brake is connected to could have bent. Is that possible?

In theory, yes it could be bent. The handbrake drum could also be knocked out of round. You may be lucky.

You can check for bent shaft/out of round drum by making up a 'pointer' from wire or steel and bolt it to the gearbox so the the 'point' is very close to the edge of the drum or shaft flange if you take the drum off. Then rotate the gearbox shaft and see if the distance between the pointer and the drum or flange changes.

Regards,

Diff