200tdi Rear Drum

Hi all,

Trying to get the rear drum off of a 1993 200tdi, undone the screw holding the drum on, no movement, span it with the wheel on, turned fine, but i cant seem to get the drum itself to budge at all. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance :)

Grant

Hi all,

Trying to get the rear drum off of a 1993 200tdi, undone the screw holding the drum on, no movement, span it with the wheel on, turned fine, but i cant seem to get the drum itself to budge at all. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance :)

Grant

Have you backed the adjuster off on the backplate? That's where I'd start, rotate it all the way to the stop.

If the drum is not moving at all it could be rusted onto the flange in the centre. I think there's a threaded hole where you can screw a bolt in to push it off (or am I think of a series motor?). If there is one it should be m10 thread.

In the past I have resorted to hitting the back lip of the drum from behind with a soft faced mallet or similar. It's only recommended in an emergency though as you could break the drum if not careful.

HTH

Mark

Have you backed the adjuster off on the backplate? That's where I'd start, rotate it all the way to the stop.

If the drum is not moving at all it could be rusted onto the flange in the centre. I think there's a threaded hole where you can screw a bolt in to push it off (or am I think of a series motor?). If there is one it should be m10 thread.

In the past I have resorted to hitting the back lip of the drum from behind with a soft faced mallet or similar. It's only recommended in an emergency though as you could break the drum if not careful.

HTH

Mark

^^^What he said^^^ Except blather the hub/drum joint in penetrating oil and belt the outer face of the drum (trust me). Then jack the drum off with a bolt in the threaded hole provided, which is 3/8 unc unless they've changed it. (v8 inlet/ ex manifold bolts are a handy source).

Once off clean up the hole in the centre of the drum with some emery cloth and re fit with plenty of coppaslip.

^^^What he said^^^ Except blather the hub/drum joint in penetrating oil and belt the outer face of the drum (trust me). Then jack the drum off with a bolt in the threaded hole provided, which is 3/8 unc unless they've changed it. (v8 inlet/ ex manifold bolts are a handy source).

Once off clean up the hole in the centre of the drum with some emery cloth and re fit with plenty of coppaslip.

Pat,

I knew the series motors used a 3/8 unc hole but stupidly assumed they'd have changed them since then, :unsure::blush: .

mark.