Help!! Searching for an old post

Steve 90

Im just in the process of fitting power steering to an old (1988) Renault master van. I have the rack etc off a diesel one but this being petrol I cant find any donor vehicles to get the pump brackets etc off. Everything else that uses this engine has the pump situated in a place that it cant be in the master for various reasons. The layout of the engine, routing of pipework etc leaves very little room for the pump to be fitted without a massive amount of re working. So before I start making brackets and moving exhaust manifolds etc I was thinking about an electric pump.

I am sure that somewhere on this forum I had seen a thread about someone fitting an electric pump to a 90, but having searched I have come up with nothing. Does anyone remember this post and could they point me in the right direction please?

Cheers.

Steve.

Just out of interest and has a small relevance to this topic, my brother used to have an MGF (the one with the engine in the back) and that had electric power steering but it wasn't a rack pipes and pump but a motor mounted on the steering column.

Could this be modified to put power steering on the series landys?

Just a thought.

Mark

So before I start making brackets and moving exhaust manifolds etc I was thinking about an electric pump.

Cheers.

Steve.

My 1991 Toyota MR2 mk2 rev1 has an electric power steering pump. It is often used for electric car conversions and, given the MR2 is a bit of a rust bucket and gets crashed a fair bit, the pump should be available from scrappers. Some of the later versions had an integral pump and rank but I believe the early ones, like mine, were separate units.

Have a look at this one.

See also this thread on a forum.