Why the stigma with hydrosteer ?

Boothy

Lost me here on this bit!

Radius arm suspension with a panhard rod is set up with the drag link geometry to match the panhard as close as possible. This means as the axle moves up and down in a sideways arc prescribed by the panhard, any change in distance between the steering box and steering arm on the knuckle is minimised. This means that the drag link is not trying to turn the wheel as the axle moves relatively to the chassis ( axle moving up or down or the body rolling).

If the drag link and panhard are way out of line (like on a lot of lifted vehicles) then any relative movement between axle and chassis / steering box results in the drag link pushing or pulling on the steering knuckle. This is why drag link and panhard should be as close to parallel and the same length as possible.

As the amount of travel increases the problem can get worse.

On a triangulated 4 link the axle moves straight up and down with no sideways arc (because there is no panhard to pivot around). In fact you cannot run a panhard with a 4 link because it will bind. If you have a drag link mechanical steering link then as there is relative movement between axle and steering box this will generate steering input. We deliberately set our buggy up like this so we could pass SVA.

So a major advantage of full hydraulic steering is no linkages so no bump steer caused by steering linkages. You will still get some steer induced by body roll but this is dependent upon the axle links, not any steering links.

Hope this makes sense and explains what I said before.

Tim

Just a question on this, What if my bussines is motorway maintainance then i will be miles from home and on land i dont own?

Then the off road event would have to be motorway maintenance work and a genuine part of your job. The onus would be on you to prove this if you had an accident miles from home and killed someone. Anything else would be in breach of the terms under which the vehicle is registered.

If your job / business is contract work with plant then you are at your place of work so it is acceptable.

And you may well have to trailer any vehicles if the distance is significant although this is less clear.

Tim

Ok chaps, this thread has run its course and goes round loops that have been done to death. Boothy, your comment about SVA left for the kids is very sad, since you are the one thats throwing the teddys here. I would advise you to just look at facts and realize that the world doesn't revolve around you: the club sets a rule and you obey to it or dont compete. End of story, no need for 4 pages of waffling about who is right.

End of story and thread locked.

Daan